Re: [SCA-JML] Warrior question...

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
      On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

      > > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
      > > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?
      >
      > There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
      > tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
      > cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
      > is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
      > this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
      > real cloth sash.

      So, do all three exist in the later armours as well? I've just been using
      one, lately. I may have to change that.

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
        >
        > > > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
        > > > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?
        > >
        > > There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
        > > tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
        > > cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
        > > is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
        > > this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
        > > real cloth sash.
        >
        > So, do all three exist in the later armours as well? I've just been using
        > one, lately. I may have to change that.

        Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
        tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
        when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
        which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.

        Effingham
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
          On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

          > Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
          > tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
          > when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
          > which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.

          Okay, so I just need the uwa obi for the most part when fighting as I
          don't fight with a scabbard and quiver (although, if I could figure out
          how to do it it might be spiff. Was the katana just stuffed into the uwa
          obi, then, or did it also have a tachi obi?

          Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
          hakama? Something like an iai obi?

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
            Ii Saburou wrote:

            > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
            >
            > > Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
            > > tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
            > > when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
            > > which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.
            >
            > Okay, so I just need the uwa obi for the most part when fighting as I
            > don't fight with a scabbard and quiver (although, if I could figure out
            > how to do it it might be spiff. Was the katana just stuffed into the uwa
            > obi, then, or did it also have a tachi obi?

            Just stuff it. <G> Actually, you have a choice; just stuff the katana in, or make a
            sword carrier (those little leather things on belts that allow you to hang a katana
            like a tachi).

            > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
            > hakama? Something like an iai obi?

            Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
            by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
            for strength.

            Effingham
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
              On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

              > > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
              > > hakama? Something like an iai obi?
              >
              > Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
              > by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
              > for strength.

              Hemp linen or silk? (I just got 30 yards of hemp linen to start playing
              with...)

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
                Ii Saburou wrote:

                > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                >
                > > > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
                > > > hakama? Something like an iai obi?
                > >
                > > Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
                > > by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
                > > for strength.
                >
                > Hemp linen or silk? (I just got 30 yards of hemp linen to start playing
                > with...)
                >
                > -Ii

                The easy answer is "yes." <G>

                Whatever works. Silk, linen, hemp, ramie...