Re: [SCA-JML] Warrior question...

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3 10:31 AM
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
      >
      > > You caught me at a good time... I was logging in on a translating break.
      >
      > What are you translating, if I may be so bold...?

      A book on Japanese history for a client in Tokyo. Starts with Nobunaga, goes
      through the Russo Japanese war. Very educational, but very trying. Several
      chapters on neo-Confucian philosophers that were... well, stressful. <G>

      > > That's the reel for holding a spare bowstring, and is called, rather
      > > boringly, "tsurumaki".
      >
      > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
      > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?

      There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
      tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
      cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
      is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
      this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
      real cloth sash.

      Effingham
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3 10:45 AM
        On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
        > > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?
        >
        > There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
        > tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
        > cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
        > is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
        > this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
        > real cloth sash.

        So, do all three exist in the later armours as well? I've just been using
        one, lately. I may have to change that.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3 10:46 AM
          Ii Saburou wrote:

          > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
          >
          > > > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
          > > > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?
          > >
          > > There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
          > > tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
          > > cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
          > > is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
          > > this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
          > > real cloth sash.
          >
          > So, do all three exist in the later armours as well? I've just been using
          > one, lately. I may have to change that.

          Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
          tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
          when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
          which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.

          Effingham
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3 10:54 AM
            On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

            > Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
            > tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
            > when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
            > which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.

            Okay, so I just need the uwa obi for the most part when fighting as I
            don't fight with a scabbard and quiver (although, if I could figure out
            how to do it it might be spiff. Was the katana just stuffed into the uwa
            obi, then, or did it also have a tachi obi?

            Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
            hakama? Something like an iai obi?

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3 10:58 AM
              Ii Saburou wrote:

              > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
              >
              > > Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
              > > tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
              > > when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
              > > which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.
              >
              > Okay, so I just need the uwa obi for the most part when fighting as I
              > don't fight with a scabbard and quiver (although, if I could figure out
              > how to do it it might be spiff. Was the katana just stuffed into the uwa
              > obi, then, or did it also have a tachi obi?

              Just stuff it. <G> Actually, you have a choice; just stuff the katana in, or make a
              sword carrier (those little leather things on belts that allow you to hang a katana
              like a tachi).

              > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
              > hakama? Something like an iai obi?

              Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
              by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
              for strength.

              Effingham
            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3 11:07 AM
                On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                > > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
                > > hakama? Something like an iai obi?
                >
                > Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
                > by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
                > for strength.

                Hemp linen or silk? (I just got 30 yards of hemp linen to start playing
                with...)

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3 11:10 AM
                  Ii Saburou wrote:

                  > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                  >
                  > > > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
                  > > > hakama? Something like an iai obi?
                  > >
                  > > Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
                  > > by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
                  > > for strength.
                  >
                  > Hemp linen or silk? (I just got 30 yards of hemp linen to start playing
                  > with...)
                  >
                  > -Ii

                  The easy answer is "yes." <G>

                  Whatever works. Silk, linen, hemp, ramie...