Re: [SCA-JML] Warrior question...

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
      On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

      > You caught me at a good time... I was logging in on a translating break.

      What are you translating, if I may be so bold...?

      > That's the reel for holding a spare bowstring, and is called, rather
      > boringly, "tsurumaki".

      Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
      the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
        >
        > > You caught me at a good time... I was logging in on a translating break.
        >
        > What are you translating, if I may be so bold...?

        A book on Japanese history for a client in Tokyo. Starts with Nobunaga, goes
        through the Russo Japanese war. Very educational, but very trying. Several
        chapters on neo-Confucian philosophers that were... well, stressful. <G>

        > > That's the reel for holding a spare bowstring, and is called, rather
        > > boringly, "tsurumaki".
        >
        > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
        > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?

        There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
        tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
        cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
        is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
        this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
        real cloth sash.

        Effingham
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
          On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

          > > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
          > > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?
          >
          > There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
          > tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
          > cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
          > is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
          > this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
          > real cloth sash.

          So, do all three exist in the later armours as well? I've just been using
          one, lately. I may have to change that.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
            Ii Saburou wrote:

            > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
            >
            > > > Makes sense. Is it attached to the belt (is it an obi that you see around
            > > > the armor, that the sword is hung from/stuck through?)?
            > >
            > > There are actually several sets of cords going around the body. One is the
            > > tachiobi (which holds the sword). One is the koshikawa, which is the waist
            > > cord for the ebira (quiver). (The tsurumaki actually hangs off this.) Another
            > > is the uwaobi, which kind of holds everything together. In older armours,
            > > this was a large, cord like thingie, while in the sengoku period it was a
            > > real cloth sash.
            >
            > So, do all three exist in the later armours as well? I've just been using
            > one, lately. I may have to change that.

            Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
            tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
            when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
            which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.

            Effingham
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
              On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

              > Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
              > tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
              > when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
              > which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.

              Okay, so I just need the uwa obi for the most part when fighting as I
              don't fight with a scabbard and quiver (although, if I could figure out
              how to do it it might be spiff. Was the katana just stuffed into the uwa
              obi, then, or did it also have a tachi obi?

              Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
              hakama? Something like an iai obi?

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
                Ii Saburou wrote:

                > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                >
                > > Fraid so. Of course, you only need a tachi obi if you're wearing a tachi. The
                > > tachi comes with one, so it's all part of one thing. You only have a koshikawa
                > > when you're wearing a quiver, obviously. The one you *do* need is the uwa obi,
                > > which can be a squire's belt or just a big muckin' sash.
                >
                > Okay, so I just need the uwa obi for the most part when fighting as I
                > don't fight with a scabbard and quiver (although, if I could figure out
                > how to do it it might be spiff. Was the katana just stuffed into the uwa
                > obi, then, or did it also have a tachi obi?

                Just stuff it. <G> Actually, you have a choice; just stuff the katana in, or make a
                sword carrier (those little leather things on belts that allow you to hang a katana
                like a tachi).

                > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
                > hakama? Something like an iai obi?

                Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
                by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
                for strength.

                Effingham
              • Ii Saburou
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
                  On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                  > > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
                  > > hakama? Something like an iai obi?
                  >
                  > Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
                  > by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
                  > for strength.

                  Hemp linen or silk? (I just got 30 yards of hemp linen to start playing
                  with...)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2002
                    Ii Saburou wrote:

                    > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                    >
                    > > > Also, was this obi anything more than a stiff version of the himo on
                    > > > hakama? Something like an iai obi?
                    > >
                    > > Not really, it was just about a foot of cloth (folded over a couple or three times)
                    > > by about ten or twelve feet in length. The folding and overlapping was sufficient
                    > > for strength.
                    >
                    > Hemp linen or silk? (I just got 30 yards of hemp linen to start playing
                    > with...)
                    >
                    > -Ii

                    The easy answer is "yes." <G>

                    Whatever works. Silk, linen, hemp, ramie...