Re: [SCA-JML] War Fan

  • kujika@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
      the book stick fighting is still in print

    • CaffinatedX@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
        Is it me or is this the first message in several months?
        Yuki

      • kujika@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
          what is it you want to do with this war fan. fence ? hard stick fight ? just
          have ?

        • BamboOni@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
            CaffinatedX@... writes:

            > Is it me or is this the first message in several months?
            > Yuki

            it might be you. have you checked the archives for past messages?

            Takabayashi Genpachi

          • shadow4549
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
              This War Fan will be used for SCA fighting. I may make another one to
              *just have* for costume. Primarily for SCA combat.
              Kuro Ookami
              --- In sca-jml@y..., kujika@a... wrote:
              > what is it you want to do with this war fan. fence ? hard stick
              fight ? just
              > have ?

            • shadow4549
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
                Must be you. There have been several messages in the last two months
                that I know of. You might want to check the archives.
                Kuro
                --- In sca-jml@y..., CaffinatedX@a... wrote:
                > Is it me or is this the first message in several months?
                > Yuki

              • Ii Saburou
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
                  On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, shadow4549 wrote:

                  > This War Fan will be used for SCA fighting. I may make another one to
                  > *just have* for costume. Primarily for SCA combat.
                  > Kuro Ookami

                  In that case, I would first look at SCA rules and how this fits.
                  Specifically, I'm thinking that it will be a dangerous item in that it
                  will be thin enough to go through someone's grill, if you are doing heavy
                  fighting.

                  If you are trying to adapt something to rapier, I don't think it will be
                  as much of a problem.

                  BTW, by 'war fan' are you thinking metal folding fan or one of those large
                  paddle-fans?

                  -Ii
                • Ash Smith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                    I believe he means a tessen.

                    --Ash

                    "In a warrior's life... one should follow the path of light, but nurture the
                    darkness within for when it is needed, without allowing it to consume one's
                    self." -- Ash (me)

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                      shadow4549 wrote:

                      > Where can I find plans for building a war fan and does anuone know
                      > where I can find something on the techniques of using a war fan?

                      Others have given some information, but there is one thing that needs
                      clarification.

                      There are *two* objects you might be mixing up.

                      The gunsen (lit. "War fan") is a solid, flat, signalling device (and
                      occasionally a parrying device, as Uesugi Kenshin found at Kawanakajima
                      <G>), and is a relative of the thing used by modern sumo referees. It is
                      used on the field, when in armour (of course).

                      The tessen (lit. "iron fan") is a normal fan, but the vanes are made of
                      metal -- sometimes sharpened and edged -- instead of bamboo. It is a
                      clandestine weapon usually intended for defense when you can't/don't appear
                      armed, and as such is only used when in regular clothing (i.e., it's useless
                      against armoured opponents). It's also *very* (read: VERY) rare.

                      Effingham
                    • Grim Shieldsson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                        I don't think you can make an acutal fan that would be SCA legal. The
                        ribs would need to be at least 1 1/4" wide. Even for rapier, I think
                        you have a hard time getting it passed.

                        --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
                        > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, shadow4549 wrote:
                        >
                        > > This War Fan will be used for SCA fighting. I may make another one
                        > > *just have* for costume. Primarily for SCA combat.
                        > > Kuro Ookami
                        >
                        > In that case, I would first look at SCA rules and how this fits.
                        > Specifically, I'm thinking that it will be a dangerous item in that
                        > it
                        > will be thin enough to go through someone's grill, if you are doing
                        > heavy
                        > fighting.
                        >
                        > If you are trying to adapt something to rapier, I don't think it will
                        > be
                        > as much of a problem.
                        >
                        > BTW, by 'war fan' are you thinking metal folding fan or one of those
                        > large
                        > paddle-fans?
                        >
                        > -Ii

                        =====
                        Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                        Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                        Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                        Oppurtunity doesn't knock. It only presents itself after you kick down the door.
                        --Kyle Chandler

                        http://auctions.yahoo.com
                      • Ii Saburou
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                          On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Grim Shieldsson wrote:

                          > I don't think you can make an acutal fan that would be SCA legal. The
                          > ribs would need to be at least 1 1/4" wide. Even for rapier, I think
                          > you have a hard time getting it passed.

                          You could probably do a gunsen if you are proposing to do it like a
                          shield. The important part for SCA fighting would be making sure it
                          couldn't enter a grill, which would probably mean rubber tubing around the
                          edge of the fan just like a shield must have.

                          I have to admit, it would be an interesting alternative to 'sword and
                          shield' but I would really recommend a more nittou or two-sword approach
                          at this point, as the gunsen seems to fulfill half of the function of your
                          second sword.

                          It would look cool, though.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                            Ii Saburou wrote:

                            > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Grim Shieldsson wrote:
                            >
                            > > I don't think you can make an acutal fan that would be SCA legal. The
                            > > ribs would need to be at least 1 1/4" wide. Even for rapier, I think
                            > > you have a hard time getting it passed.
                            >
                            > You could probably do a gunsen if you are proposing to do it like a
                            > shield. The important part for SCA fighting would be making sure it
                            > couldn't enter a grill, which would probably mean rubber tubing around the
                            > edge of the fan just like a shield must have.
                            >
                            > I have to admit, it would be an interesting alternative to 'sword and
                            > shield' but I would really recommend a more nittou or two-sword approach
                            > at this point, as the gunsen seems to fulfill half of the function of your
                            > second sword.

                            Kuji-dono fights with one of these. Looks REAL cool.

                            Effingham
                          • shadow4549
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                              The idea with this is to provide an alternative to the sword and board
                              .It has been suggested from another list that I use a trad shield
                              blank and remove 1/4 to 1/3, put handles on it, edge it with rubber
                              hose, and paint it to create the illusion of a tessen. I'm not sure
                              how this would work. I like the idea of the gunsen. but have the same
                              problem with it- not sure how to make it. the use of either would take
                              practice.
                              Thank you for everyones help in this matter.
                              YIS
                              Kuro Ookami

                            • kujika@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 4, 2002
                                This is my fan.

                                --- In sca-jml@y..., kujika@a... wrote:
                                > what is it you want to do with this war fan. fence ? hard stick
                                fight ? just
                                > have ?

                              • michael A
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 5, 2002
                                  kuji-donos gunsen is actually a mass weapon. the body
                                  is made of foam. it can be used for striking and has a
                                  thrusting point and is usually used as part of a two
                                  weapon pair.
                                  as for actual shield alternatives, ive seen primarily
                                  two types. a version of an unfolded fan that is based
                                  on a quarter circle with a handle at the circles
                                  center area. ie the tip is cut of and an oval cut asa
                                  handle.
                                  or a play off a tate(pavis) of an arquibuseur used as
                                  a small retangler center grip.
                                  neither style seems rather compeling to me in
                                  particular.
                                  id rather use a mass weapon gunsen or just go with the
                                  sword, but thats personal taste.
                                  --kiyohara

                                  http://greetings.yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 5, 2002
                                    michael A wrote:

                                    > kuji-donos gunsen is actually a mass weapon. the body
                                    > is made of foam. it can be used for striking and has a
                                    > thrusting point and is usually used as part of a two
                                    > weapon pair.
                                    > as for actual shield alternatives, ive seen primarily
                                    > two types. a version of an unfolded fan that is based
                                    > on a quarter circle with a handle at the circles
                                    > center area. ie the tip is cut of and an oval cut asa
                                    > handle.

                                    The thing is, I've never seen anything like this in the Real World, and to
                                    my mind it falls under the "bogus gear" heading.

                                    > or a play off a tate(pavis) of an arquibuseur used as
                                    > a small retangler center grip.

                                    This at least existed (in the 13th c.), but in Sengoku armour is again under
                                    "bogus gear". <G>

                                    Effingham
                                  • kujika@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                                      something I found on fans

                                      Tessen Styles

                                      Like Japanese hand fans, Tessen were made in three basic shapes or styles. Typically, the Tessen were one shaku long, which is about one-half inch more than a foot by modern standards. In general, the three standard Tessen shapes included:

                                      Sensu-gata - the basic folding fan
                                      Maiohgi-gata - the style used for traditional Japanese dancing and in kabuki plays
                                      Gunsen-gata - the style used to control military troops during war

                                      Tessen, which actually folded, were also referred to as menhari-gata. These were made of metal ribs covered with silk or washi, a very strong paper. The paper was often lacquered, reinforced with gold or silver foil, or treated with oil to make it both more decorative and less susceptible to weather damage.

                                      In some cases, only the outside ribs were metal while the inside ribs were made of the more flexible and lightweight bamboo strips. The latter were less heavy and easier to carry than the former, but were only effective as a self-defence implement when closed. A folding Tessen was not only effective as a defensive weapon, but could be used as a regular hand fan if necessary. Tessen was the term used most frequently when referring to the folding style.

                                      A folding Tessen was expensive to make and difficult to maintain, though. Frequently Tessen were solid iron cast in the shape of a closed fan. This type was generally called tenarashi-gata and was usually quite heavy. Some were made with straight edges and only faintly resembled a hand fan while others were more convincing replicas.

                                      Most samurai considered tenarashi-gata much more effective in combat than the folding style. This style of Tessen also became quite popular with both the samurai police officers and their non-samurai assistants. Their disarming and arresting techniques often employed a combination of Tessen and Jutte, the iron truncheon they carried as a badge of office and as a weapon.

                                      Solid style Tessen were also carved from hard wood such as sunuke or oak. Called motsu-shaku, the solid wooden fan was fairly easy and inexpensive to make. In comparison to the heavier iron Tessen, a motsu-shaku was also lighter and therefore easier to carry. Samurai often used a motsu-shaku for self-protection as well as for practice.

                                      Tessen Decoration

                                      Both the folding and solid style often incorporated engravings of suitable poems, rank titles, animal images, or symbolic kanji characters. Sometimes a fancy silk cord wrapping was used as a handle, almost like a bladed weapon. Of course, many Tessen were of a more sober and functional style, including little or no decoration of any kind.

                                      Tessen Practice

                                      Although the practice of tessen-jutsu was considered part of the classical Japanese weapon arts, it was primarily intended for self-defence Tessen techniques were typically based on reactions for self-protection rather than more aggressive strikes. Most tessen-jutsu techniques are designed to incapacitate or restrain an individual opponent rather than for inflicting permanent injury or death.

                                      By Don Cunningham
                                    • michael A
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                                        agreed
                                        and this is why i find neither compelling designs
                                        -kiyohara

                                        http://greetings.yahoo.com