Re: [SCA-JML] War Fan

  • Despair Bear
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
      From: shadow4549
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 9:40 AM
      Subject: [SCA-JML] War Fan

      Where can I find plans for building a war fan and does anuone know
      where I can find something on the techniques of using a war fan?
      YIS
      Kuro Ookami

      Greetings,

      Look for a book called "Stick Fighting" by Hatsumi, published by Kodansha International Ltd. It was first printed in 1971 and I am not sure that it is still in print but is a great martial art book and has some forms fro the use of the war fan.

      Lord Godric Of Castlemont

    • kujika@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
        the book stick fighting is still in print

      • CaffinatedX@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
          Is it me or is this the first message in several months?
          Yuki

        • kujika@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
            what is it you want to do with this war fan. fence ? hard stick fight ? just
            have ?

          • BamboOni@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
              CaffinatedX@... writes:

              > Is it me or is this the first message in several months?
              > Yuki

              it might be you. have you checked the archives for past messages?

              Takabayashi Genpachi

            • shadow4549
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
                This War Fan will be used for SCA fighting. I may make another one to
                *just have* for costume. Primarily for SCA combat.
                Kuro Ookami
                --- In sca-jml@y..., kujika@a... wrote:
                > what is it you want to do with this war fan. fence ? hard stick
                fight ? just
                > have ?

              • shadow4549
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
                  Must be you. There have been several messages in the last two months
                  that I know of. You might want to check the archives.
                  Kuro
                  --- In sca-jml@y..., CaffinatedX@a... wrote:
                  > Is it me or is this the first message in several months?
                  > Yuki

                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2002
                    On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, shadow4549 wrote:

                    > This War Fan will be used for SCA fighting. I may make another one to
                    > *just have* for costume. Primarily for SCA combat.
                    > Kuro Ookami

                    In that case, I would first look at SCA rules and how this fits.
                    Specifically, I'm thinking that it will be a dangerous item in that it
                    will be thin enough to go through someone's grill, if you are doing heavy
                    fighting.

                    If you are trying to adapt something to rapier, I don't think it will be
                    as much of a problem.

                    BTW, by 'war fan' are you thinking metal folding fan or one of those large
                    paddle-fans?

                    -Ii
                  • Ash Smith
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                      I believe he means a tessen.

                      --Ash

                      "In a warrior's life... one should follow the path of light, but nurture the
                      darkness within for when it is needed, without allowing it to consume one's
                      self." -- Ash (me)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                        shadow4549 wrote:

                        > Where can I find plans for building a war fan and does anuone know
                        > where I can find something on the techniques of using a war fan?

                        Others have given some information, but there is one thing that needs
                        clarification.

                        There are *two* objects you might be mixing up.

                        The gunsen (lit. "War fan") is a solid, flat, signalling device (and
                        occasionally a parrying device, as Uesugi Kenshin found at Kawanakajima
                        <G>), and is a relative of the thing used by modern sumo referees. It is
                        used on the field, when in armour (of course).

                        The tessen (lit. "iron fan") is a normal fan, but the vanes are made of
                        metal -- sometimes sharpened and edged -- instead of bamboo. It is a
                        clandestine weapon usually intended for defense when you can't/don't appear
                        armed, and as such is only used when in regular clothing (i.e., it's useless
                        against armoured opponents). It's also *very* (read: VERY) rare.

                        Effingham
                      • Grim Shieldsson
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                          I don't think you can make an acutal fan that would be SCA legal. The
                          ribs would need to be at least 1 1/4" wide. Even for rapier, I think
                          you have a hard time getting it passed.

                          --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
                          > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, shadow4549 wrote:
                          >
                          > > This War Fan will be used for SCA fighting. I may make another one
                          > > *just have* for costume. Primarily for SCA combat.
                          > > Kuro Ookami
                          >
                          > In that case, I would first look at SCA rules and how this fits.
                          > Specifically, I'm thinking that it will be a dangerous item in that
                          > it
                          > will be thin enough to go through someone's grill, if you are doing
                          > heavy
                          > fighting.
                          >
                          > If you are trying to adapt something to rapier, I don't think it will
                          > be
                          > as much of a problem.
                          >
                          > BTW, by 'war fan' are you thinking metal folding fan or one of those
                          > large
                          > paddle-fans?
                          >
                          > -Ii

                          =====
                          Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                          Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                          Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                          Oppurtunity doesn't knock. It only presents itself after you kick down the door.
                          --Kyle Chandler

                          http://auctions.yahoo.com
                        • Ii Saburou
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                            On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Grim Shieldsson wrote:

                            > I don't think you can make an acutal fan that would be SCA legal. The
                            > ribs would need to be at least 1 1/4" wide. Even for rapier, I think
                            > you have a hard time getting it passed.

                            You could probably do a gunsen if you are proposing to do it like a
                            shield. The important part for SCA fighting would be making sure it
                            couldn't enter a grill, which would probably mean rubber tubing around the
                            edge of the fan just like a shield must have.

                            I have to admit, it would be an interesting alternative to 'sword and
                            shield' but I would really recommend a more nittou or two-sword approach
                            at this point, as the gunsen seems to fulfill half of the function of your
                            second sword.

                            It would look cool, though.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                              Ii Saburou wrote:

                              > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Grim Shieldsson wrote:
                              >
                              > > I don't think you can make an acutal fan that would be SCA legal. The
                              > > ribs would need to be at least 1 1/4" wide. Even for rapier, I think
                              > > you have a hard time getting it passed.
                              >
                              > You could probably do a gunsen if you are proposing to do it like a
                              > shield. The important part for SCA fighting would be making sure it
                              > couldn't enter a grill, which would probably mean rubber tubing around the
                              > edge of the fan just like a shield must have.
                              >
                              > I have to admit, it would be an interesting alternative to 'sword and
                              > shield' but I would really recommend a more nittou or two-sword approach
                              > at this point, as the gunsen seems to fulfill half of the function of your
                              > second sword.

                              Kuji-dono fights with one of these. Looks REAL cool.

                              Effingham
                            • shadow4549
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 3, 2002
                                The idea with this is to provide an alternative to the sword and board
                                .It has been suggested from another list that I use a trad shield
                                blank and remove 1/4 to 1/3, put handles on it, edge it with rubber
                                hose, and paint it to create the illusion of a tessen. I'm not sure
                                how this would work. I like the idea of the gunsen. but have the same
                                problem with it- not sure how to make it. the use of either would take
                                practice.
                                Thank you for everyones help in this matter.
                                YIS
                                Kuro Ookami

                              • kujika@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 4, 2002
                                  This is my fan.

                                  --- In sca-jml@y..., kujika@a... wrote:
                                  > what is it you want to do with this war fan. fence ? hard stick
                                  fight ? just
                                  > have ?

                                • michael A
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 5, 2002
                                    kuji-donos gunsen is actually a mass weapon. the body
                                    is made of foam. it can be used for striking and has a
                                    thrusting point and is usually used as part of a two
                                    weapon pair.
                                    as for actual shield alternatives, ive seen primarily
                                    two types. a version of an unfolded fan that is based
                                    on a quarter circle with a handle at the circles
                                    center area. ie the tip is cut of and an oval cut asa
                                    handle.
                                    or a play off a tate(pavis) of an arquibuseur used as
                                    a small retangler center grip.
                                    neither style seems rather compeling to me in
                                    particular.
                                    id rather use a mass weapon gunsen or just go with the
                                    sword, but thats personal taste.
                                    --kiyohara

                                    http://greetings.yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Feb 5, 2002
                                      michael A wrote:

                                      > kuji-donos gunsen is actually a mass weapon. the body
                                      > is made of foam. it can be used for striking and has a
                                      > thrusting point and is usually used as part of a two
                                      > weapon pair.
                                      > as for actual shield alternatives, ive seen primarily
                                      > two types. a version of an unfolded fan that is based
                                      > on a quarter circle with a handle at the circles
                                      > center area. ie the tip is cut of and an oval cut asa
                                      > handle.

                                      The thing is, I've never seen anything like this in the Real World, and to
                                      my mind it falls under the "bogus gear" heading.

                                      > or a play off a tate(pavis) of an arquibuseur used as
                                      > a small retangler center grip.

                                      This at least existed (in the 13th c.), but in Sengoku armour is again under
                                      "bogus gear". <G>

                                      Effingham
                                    • kujika@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                                        something I found on fans

                                        Tessen Styles

                                        Like Japanese hand fans, Tessen were made in three basic shapes or styles. Typically, the Tessen were one shaku long, which is about one-half inch more than a foot by modern standards. In general, the three standard Tessen shapes included:

                                        Sensu-gata - the basic folding fan
                                        Maiohgi-gata - the style used for traditional Japanese dancing and in kabuki plays
                                        Gunsen-gata - the style used to control military troops during war

                                        Tessen, which actually folded, were also referred to as menhari-gata. These were made of metal ribs covered with silk or washi, a very strong paper. The paper was often lacquered, reinforced with gold or silver foil, or treated with oil to make it both more decorative and less susceptible to weather damage.

                                        In some cases, only the outside ribs were metal while the inside ribs were made of the more flexible and lightweight bamboo strips. The latter were less heavy and easier to carry than the former, but were only effective as a self-defence implement when closed. A folding Tessen was not only effective as a defensive weapon, but could be used as a regular hand fan if necessary. Tessen was the term used most frequently when referring to the folding style.

                                        A folding Tessen was expensive to make and difficult to maintain, though. Frequently Tessen were solid iron cast in the shape of a closed fan. This type was generally called tenarashi-gata and was usually quite heavy. Some were made with straight edges and only faintly resembled a hand fan while others were more convincing replicas.

                                        Most samurai considered tenarashi-gata much more effective in combat than the folding style. This style of Tessen also became quite popular with both the samurai police officers and their non-samurai assistants. Their disarming and arresting techniques often employed a combination of Tessen and Jutte, the iron truncheon they carried as a badge of office and as a weapon.

                                        Solid style Tessen were also carved from hard wood such as sunuke or oak. Called motsu-shaku, the solid wooden fan was fairly easy and inexpensive to make. In comparison to the heavier iron Tessen, a motsu-shaku was also lighter and therefore easier to carry. Samurai often used a motsu-shaku for self-protection as well as for practice.

                                        Tessen Decoration

                                        Both the folding and solid style often incorporated engravings of suitable poems, rank titles, animal images, or symbolic kanji characters. Sometimes a fancy silk cord wrapping was used as a handle, almost like a bladed weapon. Of course, many Tessen were of a more sober and functional style, including little or no decoration of any kind.

                                        Tessen Practice

                                        Although the practice of tessen-jutsu was considered part of the classical Japanese weapon arts, it was primarily intended for self-defence Tessen techniques were typically based on reactions for self-protection rather than more aggressive strikes. Most tessen-jutsu techniques are designed to incapacitate or restrain an individual opponent rather than for inflicting permanent injury or death.

                                        By Don Cunningham
                                      • michael A
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
                                          agreed
                                          and this is why i find neither compelling designs
                                          -kiyohara

                                          http://greetings.yahoo.com