Re: [SCA-JML] Hana-gusari

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      > Does anyone have a link to an online reference to Japanese chainmail?
      > I know how to make it but I can't find any information on HOW it was used,
      > and more specifically, WHERE on the armor it was. Or what time period
      > different patterns were popular?
      > Any information would be groovy :)
      > I'm going to attempt the plastic samurai armor from the TI *crosses fingers
      > lol* but I would also like to add some chainmail to it where it would/may
      > have been just for that extra "neat" look.
      >
      > PS: I have a early Azuchi-Momoyama period persona.
      >
      > --Ash

      I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the information, but a
      Google search turns up quite a bit -

      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=japanese+chain+mail&btnG=Google+Search

      The first link goes into the how, but also the where. You can
      check out the other links as well, though no doubt a number of them point
      to the first page on the list...

      Yumitori
      --

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
    • lord_aharon_of_talkon
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        Side note, if there is any zinc in the metal (gallvantized metals
        come to mind) do NOT heat it up! Zinc fumes will come off the metal
        and it attacks people's nervouse systems! Not good! Bad zinc! No
        biscuit!

        --Artemesia (the metalworker, among other things)
      • Ash Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2002
          Yeah, zinc will also keep the whole blackening effect from working :(

          --Ash

          "In a warrior's life... one should follow the path of light, but nurture the
          darkness within for when it is needed, without allowing it to consume one's
          self." -- Ash (me)