Re: [SCA-JML] Armor and color

  • Ash Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2002
      I'm not sure how it was traditionally done, but you can blacken it by
      boiling it in oil... used motor oil works... this, however, won't work with
      stainless steel, the zinc in it won't let the oil "soak in".
      You do this after you form the steel. (Otherwise the nice shiny polish it
      gives will wear off when worked)
      Though I wouldn't recommend doing this in an oven you plan to ever use again
      for food.... or inside :)
      Friend of mine has an outdoor oven (just a normal house oven) that he boils
      it in on it's highest setting for about 8 hours, then takes it out and
      quenches it in cold oil. Looks fabulous.

      Watashi no ni en

      --Ash

      "In a warrior's life... one should follow the path of light, but nurture the
      darkness within for when it is needed, without allowing it to consume one's
      self." -- Ash (me)