Hana-gusari

  • Ash Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      Hello,
      Does anyone have a link to an online reference to Japanese chainmail?
      I know how to make it but I can't find any information on HOW it was used,
      and more specifically, WHERE on the armor it was. Or what time period
      different patterns were popular?
      Any information would be groovy :)
      I'm going to attempt the plastic samurai armor from the TI *crosses fingers
      lol* but I would also like to add some chainmail to it where it would/may
      have been just for that extra "neat" look.

      PS: I have a early Azuchi-Momoyama period persona.

      --Ash

      "In a warrior's life... one should follow the path of light, but nurture the
      darkness within for when it is needed, without allowing it to consume one's
      self." -- Ash (me)
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        > Does anyone have a link to an online reference to Japanese chainmail?
        > I know how to make it but I can't find any information on HOW it was used,
        > and more specifically, WHERE on the armor it was. Or what time period
        > different patterns were popular?
        > Any information would be groovy :)
        > I'm going to attempt the plastic samurai armor from the TI *crosses fingers
        > lol* but I would also like to add some chainmail to it where it would/may
        > have been just for that extra "neat" look.
        >
        > PS: I have a early Azuchi-Momoyama period persona.
        >
        > --Ash

        I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of the information, but a
        Google search turns up quite a bit -

        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=japanese+chain+mail&btnG=Google+Search

        The first link goes into the how, but also the where. You can
        check out the other links as well, though no doubt a number of them point
        to the first page on the list...

        Yumitori
        --

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • lord_aharon_of_talkon
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
          Side note, if there is any zinc in the metal (gallvantized metals
          come to mind) do NOT heat it up! Zinc fumes will come off the metal
          and it attacks people's nervouse systems! Not good! Bad zinc! No
          biscuit!

          --Artemesia (the metalworker, among other things)
        • Ash Smith