Re: [SCA-JML] Re: OT - San Francisco

  • Elsyr
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      Kamiizumi-dono:

      I definitely plan on looking for tabi, and also for some decent sandals. The
      only place I have found tabi recently, other than the ever present "ninja
      boots" you can find at most martial arts supply places, is a company called
      Cool East Imports out of Canada. They carry a fair selection of tabi socks,
      but no shoes (at least the last time I looked). If I find anything in SF,
      I'll see what's available in size huge for you. :-)

      Sakurakawa

      Don Walli wrote:

      > Wow! What good fortune! If you have the spare time and care to look,
      > something that would be of great interest to me (and perhaps others out
      > there) would be any contact information you might find on oversize tabi and
      > places to acquire them (I wear a US size 14-15, depending on the shoe). But
      > above all, have fun! If I weren't having so much fun shoveling the snow off
      > my roof (and then re-shoveling it out of my driveway) I would say I envy
      > you. ;-)
      >
      > Kamiizumi Munenori
      >
      > > Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:59:02 -0500
      > > From: Elsyr <elsyr@...>
      > >Subject: OT - San Francisco
      > >
      > >Konichiwa!
      > >
      > >I am going to be heading out west next Monday on a mundane business trip
      > >to San Francisco and Concord, CA. I am hoping to relieve the agony of a
      > >week of all day meetings with some shopping, sightseeing, and dining in
      > >the area. Any hints about places not to be missed? Japanese book
      > >stores, fabric shops, etc., etc.? I'm sure there are a lot of things an
      > >SCA Nippon-ophile would want that are easily available in SF, difficult
      > >or impossible to locate in north Florida. Any suggestions would be
      > >greatly appreciated.
      > >
      > >Arigato!
      > >
      > >Sakurakawa Sumiyori

    • Rosemary Norwood
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
        On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:59:29AM -0500, Elsyr wrote:
        > Kiri-dono:
        >
        > Unfortunately all travel arrangements have to be made through our corporate
        > travel services, and they managed to get us from Jacksonville, FL to SF (flying
        > in to Oakland, actually) for under $300 without a weekend stay over. I was
        > surprised that the airfares were that low without a weekend, but at that price,
        > 2 additional nights in a San Francisco hotel would cost more than the ticket.
        > :-( However, since SF (unlike Jacksonville) is a _real_ city in which the
        > sidewalks do not roll up magically at sun down, I am thinking that many of the
        > shops I will want to check out will be open in the evening hours during the
        > week. I got a hint from a friend the other day about a fabric store in Union
        > Square called Britex ... four floors of nothing but bolts of fabric and
        > notions. That should kill a few hours, at least. :-)
        >
        > Sakurakawa

        Yes, it is California. Sensibly, most stores are open until 8 pm,
        especially those in the strip malls. Don't forget to stop in somewhere
        for Sushi, CA sushi in price and taste cannot be beat. Unfortunately, I
        only know restaurants to recommend in the San Jose or Mountain View
        areas. If you'll be in that vicinity let me know and I will endeavour to
        recommend.

        Rosemary