Re: [SCA-JML] OT - San Francisco

  • Elsyr
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
      Kiri-dono:

      Unfortunately all travel arrangements have to be made through our corporate
      travel services, and they managed to get us from Jacksonville, FL to SF (flying
      in to Oakland, actually) for under $300 without a weekend stay over. I was
      surprised that the airfares were that low without a weekend, but at that price,
      2 additional nights in a San Francisco hotel would cost more than the ticket.
      :-( However, since SF (unlike Jacksonville) is a _real_ city in which the
      sidewalks do not roll up magically at sun down, I am thinking that many of the
      shops I will want to check out will be open in the evening hours during the
      week. I got a hint from a friend the other day about a fabric store in Union
      Square called Britex ... four floors of nothing but bolts of fabric and
      notions. That should kill a few hours, at least. :-)

      Sakurakawa

    • Elsyr
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
        Kamiizumi-dono:

        I definitely plan on looking for tabi, and also for some decent sandals. The
        only place I have found tabi recently, other than the ever present "ninja
        boots" you can find at most martial arts supply places, is a company called
        Cool East Imports out of Canada. They carry a fair selection of tabi socks,
        but no shoes (at least the last time I looked). If I find anything in SF,
        I'll see what's available in size huge for you. :-)

        Sakurakawa

        Don Walli wrote:

        > Wow! What good fortune! If you have the spare time and care to look,
        > something that would be of great interest to me (and perhaps others out
        > there) would be any contact information you might find on oversize tabi and
        > places to acquire them (I wear a US size 14-15, depending on the shoe). But
        > above all, have fun! If I weren't having so much fun shoveling the snow off
        > my roof (and then re-shoveling it out of my driveway) I would say I envy
        > you. ;-)
        >
        > Kamiizumi Munenori
        >
        > > Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:59:02 -0500
        > > From: Elsyr <elsyr@...>
        > >Subject: OT - San Francisco
        > >
        > >Konichiwa!
        > >
        > >I am going to be heading out west next Monday on a mundane business trip
        > >to San Francisco and Concord, CA. I am hoping to relieve the agony of a
        > >week of all day meetings with some shopping, sightseeing, and dining in
        > >the area. Any hints about places not to be missed? Japanese book
        > >stores, fabric shops, etc., etc.? I'm sure there are a lot of things an
        > >SCA Nippon-ophile would want that are easily available in SF, difficult
        > >or impossible to locate in north Florida. Any suggestions would be
        > >greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > >Arigato!
        > >
        > >Sakurakawa Sumiyori

      • Rosemary Norwood
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
          On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:59:29AM -0500, Elsyr wrote:
          > Kiri-dono:
          >
          > Unfortunately all travel arrangements have to be made through our corporate
          > travel services, and they managed to get us from Jacksonville, FL to SF (flying
          > in to Oakland, actually) for under $300 without a weekend stay over. I was
          > surprised that the airfares were that low without a weekend, but at that price,
          > 2 additional nights in a San Francisco hotel would cost more than the ticket.
          > :-( However, since SF (unlike Jacksonville) is a _real_ city in which the
          > sidewalks do not roll up magically at sun down, I am thinking that many of the
          > shops I will want to check out will be open in the evening hours during the
          > week. I got a hint from a friend the other day about a fabric store in Union
          > Square called Britex ... four floors of nothing but bolts of fabric and
          > notions. That should kill a few hours, at least. :-)
          >
          > Sakurakawa

          Yes, it is California. Sensibly, most stores are open until 8 pm,
          especially those in the strip malls. Don't forget to stop in somewhere
          for Sushi, CA sushi in price and taste cannot be beat. Unfortunately, I
          only know restaurants to recommend in the San Jose or Mountain View
          areas. If you'll be in that vicinity let me know and I will endeavour to
          recommend.

          Rosemary