OT - San Francisco

  • Elsyr
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2002
      Konichiwa!

      I am going to be heading out west next Monday on a mundane business trip
      to San Francisco and Concord, CA. I am hoping to relieve the agony of a
      week of all day meetings with some shopping, sightseeing, and dining in
      the area. Any hints about places not to be missed? Japanese book
      stores, fabric shops, etc., etc.? I'm sure there are a lot of things an
      SCA Nippon-ophile would want that are easily available in SF, difficult
      or impossible to locate in north Florida. Any suggestions would be
      greatly appreciated.

      Arigato!

      Sakurakawa Sumiyori
    • mokurai
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30, 2002
        There is a ton to see in SF. One place my Lady and I loved was Japantown's
        shopping district and mall. Check out the hardware store! You wouldn't think
        it, but there are tons of cool items in that store for us re-creators. I got
        tabi that actually fit, a period design iron candle holder, and much more.
        Check out their wood-working supplies and selection of fittings, hinges and
        such. Wowsers.

        The mall is also fun and includes a very good Kinokuniya book store and an
        amazing antique store. We couldn't afford most of the contents of that one,
        but it was a great place to gawk - really almost a museum. Good for getting
        ideas and "Oh, so _that's_ how that works." revelations.

        - mokurai

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30, 2002
          Arigato, Mokurai-bozu. I looked at a map this afternoon, and Japantown should
          be within striking distance of where I will be staying downtown. Hopefully, the
          stores in the shopping district there stay open fairly well into the evening
          hours, as I will be in meetings in Concord for most of each day and my
          sightseeing will have to be pretty much exclusively after work. Unfortunately,
          I couldn't con the company into sending me out there for a weekend, as well as
          for the week. :-)

          Sakurakawa

          mokurai wrote:

          > There is a ton to see in SF. One place my Lady and I loved was Japantown's
          > shopping district and mall. Check out the hardware store! You wouldn't think
          > it, but there are tons of cool items in that store for us re-creators. I got
          > tabi that actually fit, a period design iron candle holder, and much more.
          > Check out their wood-working supplies and selection of fittings, hinges and
          > such. Wowsers.
          >
          > The mall is also fun and includes a very good Kinokuniya book store and an
          > amazing antique store. We couldn't afford most of the contents of that one,
          > but it was a great place to gawk - really almost a museum. Good for getting
          > ideas and "Oh, so _that's_ how that works." revelations.
          >
          > - mokurai

        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2002
            Did you point out to them that airline tickets are usually cheaper if they
            include a weekend? Oftentimes the difference is quite substantial!!!
            That's how I used to get my company to let me stay out there over
            weekends....

            Kiri

            mokurai wrote:

            > There is a ton to see in SF. One place my Lady and I loved was
            Japantown's
            > shopping district and mall. Check out the hardware store! You wouldn't
            think
            > it, but there are tons of cool items in that store for us re-creators. I
            got
            > tabi that actually fit, a period design iron candle holder, and much
            more.
            > Check out their wood-working supplies and selection of fittings, hinges
            and
            > such. Wowsers.
            >
            > The mall is also fun and includes a very good Kinokuniya book store and
            an
            > amazing antique store. We couldn't afford most of the contents of that
            one,
            > but it was a great place to gawk - really almost a museum. Good for
            getting
            > ideas and "Oh, so _that's_ how that works." revelations.
            >
            > - mokurai

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Don Walli
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2002
              Wow! What good fortune! If you have the spare time and care to look,
              something that would be of great interest to me (and perhaps others out
              there) would be any contact information you might find on oversize tabi and
              places to acquire them (I wear a US size 14-15, depending on the shoe). But
              above all, have fun! If I weren't having so much fun shoveling the snow off
              my roof (and then re-shoveling it out of my driveway) I would say I envy
              you. ;-)

              Kamiizumi Munenori

              > Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:59:02 -0500
              > From: Elsyr <elsyr@...>
              >Subject: OT - San Francisco
              >
              >Konichiwa!
              >
              >I am going to be heading out west next Monday on a mundane business trip
              >to San Francisco and Concord, CA. I am hoping to relieve the agony of a
              >week of all day meetings with some shopping, sightseeing, and dining in
              >the area. Any hints about places not to be missed? Japanese book
              >stores, fabric shops, etc., etc.? I'm sure there are a lot of things an
              >SCA Nippon-ophile would want that are easily available in SF, difficult
              >or impossible to locate in north Florida. Any suggestions would be
              >greatly appreciated.
              >
              >Arigato!
              >
              >Sakurakawa Sumiyori
            • James Eckman
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2002
                > From: Elsyr <elsyr@...>
                > Subject: OT - San Francisco
                >
                > Check out the hardware store!

                Soko hardware is mega-cool, it's actually across the street from the
                mall. There's a little pedestrian street that continues north of Soko
                Hardware. Several of the stores along that street have very good deals
                on ceramics and other items.

                Jim Eckman
                Newark, CA
              • Elsyr
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
                  Kiri-dono:

                  Unfortunately all travel arrangements have to be made through our corporate
                  travel services, and they managed to get us from Jacksonville, FL to SF (flying
                  in to Oakland, actually) for under $300 without a weekend stay over. I was
                  surprised that the airfares were that low without a weekend, but at that price,
                  2 additional nights in a San Francisco hotel would cost more than the ticket.
                  :-( However, since SF (unlike Jacksonville) is a _real_ city in which the
                  sidewalks do not roll up magically at sun down, I am thinking that many of the
                  shops I will want to check out will be open in the evening hours during the
                  week. I got a hint from a friend the other day about a fabric store in Union
                  Square called Britex ... four floors of nothing but bolts of fabric and
                  notions. That should kill a few hours, at least. :-)

                  Sakurakawa

                • Elsyr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
                    Kamiizumi-dono:

                    I definitely plan on looking for tabi, and also for some decent sandals. The
                    only place I have found tabi recently, other than the ever present "ninja
                    boots" you can find at most martial arts supply places, is a company called
                    Cool East Imports out of Canada. They carry a fair selection of tabi socks,
                    but no shoes (at least the last time I looked). If I find anything in SF,
                    I'll see what's available in size huge for you. :-)

                    Sakurakawa

                    Don Walli wrote:

                    > Wow! What good fortune! If you have the spare time and care to look,
                    > something that would be of great interest to me (and perhaps others out
                    > there) would be any contact information you might find on oversize tabi and
                    > places to acquire them (I wear a US size 14-15, depending on the shoe). But
                    > above all, have fun! If I weren't having so much fun shoveling the snow off
                    > my roof (and then re-shoveling it out of my driveway) I would say I envy
                    > you. ;-)
                    >
                    > Kamiizumi Munenori
                    >
                    > > Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:59:02 -0500
                    > > From: Elsyr <elsyr@...>
                    > >Subject: OT - San Francisco
                    > >
                    > >Konichiwa!
                    > >
                    > >I am going to be heading out west next Monday on a mundane business trip
                    > >to San Francisco and Concord, CA. I am hoping to relieve the agony of a
                    > >week of all day meetings with some shopping, sightseeing, and dining in
                    > >the area. Any hints about places not to be missed? Japanese book
                    > >stores, fabric shops, etc., etc.? I'm sure there are a lot of things an
                    > >SCA Nippon-ophile would want that are easily available in SF, difficult
                    > >or impossible to locate in north Florida. Any suggestions would be
                    > >greatly appreciated.
                    > >
                    > >Arigato!
                    > >
                    > >Sakurakawa Sumiyori

                  • Rosemary Norwood
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 1, 2002
                      On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:59:29AM -0500, Elsyr wrote:
                      > Kiri-dono:
                      >
                      > Unfortunately all travel arrangements have to be made through our corporate
                      > travel services, and they managed to get us from Jacksonville, FL to SF (flying
                      > in to Oakland, actually) for under $300 without a weekend stay over. I was
                      > surprised that the airfares were that low without a weekend, but at that price,
                      > 2 additional nights in a San Francisco hotel would cost more than the ticket.
                      > :-( However, since SF (unlike Jacksonville) is a _real_ city in which the
                      > sidewalks do not roll up magically at sun down, I am thinking that many of the
                      > shops I will want to check out will be open in the evening hours during the
                      > week. I got a hint from a friend the other day about a fabric store in Union
                      > Square called Britex ... four floors of nothing but bolts of fabric and
                      > notions. That should kill a few hours, at least. :-)
                      >
                      > Sakurakawa

                      Yes, it is California. Sensibly, most stores are open until 8 pm,
                      especially those in the strip malls. Don't forget to stop in somewhere
                      for Sushi, CA sushi in price and taste cannot be beat. Unfortunately, I
                      only know restaurants to recommend in the San Jose or Mountain View
                      areas. If you'll be in that vicinity let me know and I will endeavour to
                      recommend.

                      Rosemary