Re: I think I'm ready...

  • andreahg2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 16, 2002
      - the first is they get kind of bunched
      > around the ankles so that I have to kick my feet free and the
      second is that
      > they get pulled down lower and lower around my waist as I go. Any
      > suggestions on how to keep this from happening or is that normal?

      Well, I have sloved this in two ways. First, I wear my nagabakama at
      a high waist. We don't have any pictures that show where the
      waistband lies and there is proof that the Nara fashion was to wear
      the skirts and pants high waisted. Because of my shape, this helps
      them stay up. The other way to avoid slippage is to take tiny little
      shuffling steps. Yeah, it takes a while to gt anywhere and it doesn't
      work on carpet.

      I get the
      > impression that women of the Heian era didn't do much hiking.
      Also, what
      > kind of footwear should I wear? I was going to wear tabi - is
      there
      > something better?

      I either wear plain old socks (nylon trouser socks or knee high
      stockings help to avoid slippage, cotton socks encourage slippage) or
      go bare feet.
      Nadeshiko
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 16, 2002
        Emily Glick wrote:

        > I've been busy.
        >
        > I met Kuji and his family over new years and had a very nice time. They
        > invited me to join them for Twelfth Night which is next weekend.

        Splendid fellow! Hope you have a spiff time! I was hoping to do 12th Night, but
        my foot is still out of commission and I can't see myself driving that far just
        to hobble on crutches all afternoon. Maidens will be my "first day out" this
        year...

        > Those nagabakama are some "phat" pants. Laid out on the floor they look
        > like pants for a giant. I can walk in them pretty well as long as I don't
        > go too fast but 2 things happen - the first is they get kind of bunched
        > around the ankles so that I have to kick my feet free and the second is that
        > they get pulled down lower and lower around my waist as I go. Any
        > suggestions on how to keep this from happening or is that normal?

        You have to walk very slowly. Free hands, to kind of pull the garment forward
        as you walk, help. You also have to rethink how you walk; this requires not
        "steps" per se, but more "lift foot only enough to take weight off it, and
        GLIDE the foot forward." Your knees scarcely should move. It's almost as if you
        had skates on.

        > I get the
        > impression that women of the Heian era didn't do much hiking. Also, what
        > kind of footwear should I wear? I was going to wear tabi - is there
        > something better?

        You should be barefoot, ideally.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 16, 2002
          andreahg2000 wrote:

          > - the first is they get kind of bunched
          > > around the ankles so that I have to kick my feet free and the
          > second is that
          > > they get pulled down lower and lower around my waist as I go. Any
          > > suggestions on how to keep this from happening or is that normal?
          >
          > Well, I have sloved this in two ways. First, I wear my nagabakama at
          > a high waist. We don't have any pictures that show where the
          > waistband lies

          Actually, yes, we do. This is a very high-intensity graphic page, so it
          takes a while to load, but:

          http://sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garbphotos/dressing12.html

          This is a page I put together to show the layers in dressing in a
          karaginu-mo, and there are several photos and sketches showing how the
          nagabakama is worn.

          Effingham
        • andreahg2000
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 16, 2002
            > Actually, yes, we do. This is a very high-intensity graphic page, so
            it
            > takes a while to load, but:
            >
            > http://sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garbphotos/dressing12.html
            >
            > This is a page I put together to show the layers in dressing in a
            > karaginu-mo, and there are several photos and sketches showing how
            the
            > nagabakama is worn.
            >

            > Effingham

            But these are modern pictures, not primary sources. I have yet to see
            contemporary artwork depicting the waistband of nagabakama. When
            discussing this topic with Fujiwara-hime, we both decided that there
            was not enough primary info to place the waistband at either the
            natural or the highwaist and that either could be worn.

            Nadeshiko
          • Jay Trease
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 16, 2002
              Hi all! I'm Gryphon from Mag Mor. I just subscribed
              to the list on Monday, and have a few questions and
              would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

              I'm planning to make Japanese garb to wear at Winter
              War Manuevers in a week and a half. I've more or less
              decided on a kariganu outfit. Here's my quandry. I
              found the kariganu pattern stuff in the file archive,
              but I wanted to make sure I knew how to put one
              together. I've seen several different photos of
              different styles of construction.

              Also, I'm looking for any instruction on putting
              together sashinuki and an eboshi(probably a tate
              eboshi).

              Thanks much.
              Gryphon

              Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
              http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 16, 2002
                andreahg2000 wrote:

                > > Actually, yes, we do. This is a very high-intensity graphic page, so
                > it
                > > takes a while to load, but:
                > >
                > > http://sengokudaimyo.com/garb/garbphotos/dressing12.html
                > >
                > > This is a page I put together to show the layers in dressing in a
                > > karaginu-mo, and there are several photos and sketches showing how
                > the
                > > nagabakama is worn.
                > >

                > > Effingham
                >
                > But these are modern pictures, not primary sources. I have yet to see
                > contemporary artwork depicting the waistband of nagabakama. When
                > discussing this topic with Fujiwara-hime, we both decided that there
                > was not enough primary info to place the waistband at either the
                > natural or the highwaist and that either could be worn.

                But... um... they're modern photos, yes, but they're referencing Heian
                fashions. If you play with enough emakimono (picture scrolls) you'll see all
                these and more eventually.

                Effingham
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 17, 2002
                  I have to admit that I cheat.  I know that they are supposed to be longer than I am.  However, I did try to wear them the way they were supposed to be worn, and managed not only to just about kill myself by tripping over them, but several others around me, including the Crown Princess at the time (back in the dim red dawn of time, when rocks were soft!)  So I made an executive decision then that I would have to err on the side of safety and common sense and wear them at a length that brushes the top of my feet...sorry guys, but, between two arthritic knees and a bad back...and the fact that I'm usually in a hurry to get to wherever I'm going...I can't afford to be strictly period here!  ;-)

                  Kiri

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 17, 2002
                    > I'm usually in a hurry to get to wherever I'm going...I can't afford
                    to be
                    > strictly period here! ;-)
                    >
                    > Kiri

                    Since you admitted it first, I will to. I only wear them long if I
                    know I'm not going to be outside at all. I wear them at the top of
                    the feet at all outdoor events.

                    Nadeshiko