question about modern cooking and culture

  • andreahg2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2002
      I recently bought a cookbook that was recommened as being authentic
      homestyle Japanese cooking. I know that no matter what the cuisine,
      resturant food is generally not how people eat at home. However, this
      cookbook makes me wonder how Japanese people really eat at home. The
      portions are so miniscule that either they don't eat as much as we do
      (which I can believe), they don't cook big and eat or keep leftovers,
      or they have many dishes at each meal. The one recipe that I have
      tried from this book was a "country one-dish"type cassarole. It
      served 4 and called for things like 4shrimp or 4 slices of carrot,
      1tablespoon of diced chicken breast, or 2 sliced okra. To me, a
      one-pot dish means that's all there is to a meal (think of traditional
      pot roast, where your meat, veggie and starch are all cooked
      togther). That recipe didn't sound hearty enough to stand alone.
      Would this normally be served with a few other dishes? How do
      Japanese people really eat at home?
      Nadeshiko
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2002
        On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, andreahg2000 wrote:

        > (which I can believe), they don't cook big and eat or keep leftovers,
        > or they have many dishes at each meal. The one recipe that I have
        > tried from this book was a "country one-dish"type cassarole. It
        > served 4 and called for things like 4shrimp or 4 slices of carrot,
        > 1tablespoon of diced chicken breast, or 2 sliced okra. To me, a
        > one-pot dish means that's all there is to a meal (think of traditional
        > pot roast, where your meat, veggie and starch are all cooked
        > togther). That recipe didn't sound hearty enough to stand alone.
        > Would this normally be served with a few other dishes? How do
        > Japanese people really eat at home?

        From my experience, I would think that most Japanese tend to eat a
        smaller 'main entree' than Americans are used to. At the same time, they
        do seem to often have plenty of little side dishes and TONES of rice (I
        swear, one of my teachers but away 5 or 6 bowls of plain rice at one
        sitting. We were trying to figure out if he had a wooden leg or
        something--and that was on top of the rest of the meal!)

        Meals that I had usually went something along the lines of: main dish,
        soup (usually miso), and lotsa rice. I can think of three notable
        exceptions to this: sukiyaki (which is already soupy and has lots of stuff
        thrown in), oden (for the same reasons as sukiyaki), and when we grilled
        stuff (then it was meat and vegetables, all thrown on a grill).

        Ok... just got out my own Japanese Cook Book. Here they mention 'A simple
        Japanese breakfast consists of rice, soup and a side dish. This is called
        ichihan, ichiju, and issai." It is quite possible your 'one dish' is
        supposed to be 'side dish' (ichi = 1, shortened to 'is' in 'issai')

        Lunch would be something like obento (boxed lunch) or noodles (ramen or
        udon) or rice curry.

        The evening meal should be "ichiju sansai" or "soup and three (side
        dishes)", along with steamed rice, pickles, and hot tea.

        But if it is more of a casserole, then it fits into what is called here,
        also, one-pot dishes. Under the heading of 'serving one-pot dishes' it
        reads "One-pot dishes...are delicious placed over large bolws of steamed
        rice." and "On the side, offer a salad...along with warm sake, hot green
        tea or cold beer. Soft drinks and cold water are always welcomed" It
        ends by suggesting a desert to go along with the 'one-pot dish'

        I hope that helps some.

        -Ii

        Reference:
        "Japanese Cooking for the American Table" by Susan Fuller Slack