Some help on a few words...

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2002
      I'm going back to attempt to finish a translation I started long ago,
      which has caused me some problems, even with Kogo-jiten, Kanji Dic., and a
      specific grammar reference.

      As I'm doing it, I'm also wondering if I could eventually perform it
      somehow. It is meant to be a kyougen, which would be best if I could find
      two other people to read Japanese to play the other two roles.
      Alternatively, I'm wondering if I could just do one of the sit-down story
      performances that I have seen; I'm not sure how period they are, though,
      or if they would ever have recounted something like this.

      If I did either one I would definitely want to have the translation handy,
      though, so that the audience could understand what was going on (either
      hand it out in leaflets or have someone off to the side holding huge cue
      cards)

      I'm trying to figure out and what a certain phrase means. It is from the
      kyougen 'Kagyuu'. In the opening monologue, the shite (a Yamabushi) is
      introducing himself, and describing his wanderings, when it is written
      (please excuse the wa-puro Japanese, but I don't have the capability to
      write Japanese characters to this account.):

      "MADUSORORI [repetion mark] TO {MAI}RAU." (Repition mark looks like a long
      KU taking up two character spaces, and I used {} to indicate the presence
      of a kanji (pronunciation assumed).

      Which I think is supposed to be:

      "Mazu sorori, sorori to mairau." (Mairou?)

      Both my modern Japanese-English and Kogojiten give 'MADU' as 'First,
      previously' (HAJIME NI. {SAKI} NI.) But I can't find any word that seems
      to fit with sorori.

      It seems almost like an onomotapoeia, but I'm not sure. My first guess is
      that it means '(I) have been/am going here and there.' but I'm not sure.
      Can anyone help me on this?

      Also, I think I have the following translated correctly, but I'm not sure
      (numbers indicate kanji reference in Nelson's):

      KUZU JYOU ([3997][1078]) Kuzu Castle/Arrowroot Castle
      HA GURO SAN ([3673][5403][1407] Mt. Haguro/Mt. Featherblack

      Place names are tricky, and I'm not always sure what they will be; I am
      assuming that the best way to go is with kunyomi, for Japanese place
      names, unless I know better for some reason.

      -Joshua B.

      1962; "The Modern Reader's JAPANESE-ENGLISH CHARACTER DICTIONARY
      SECOND REVISED EDITION"; Nelson, Andrew Nathaniel, PH.D.; published by
      Charles E. Tuttle Company, Rutland, Vermont.

      1990; "ZENYAKU KOGO JITEN"; ;published by Obunsha, Tokyo.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2002
        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > "MADUSORORI [repetion mark] TO {MAI}RAU." (Repition mark looks like a long
        > KU taking up two character spaces, and I used {} to indicate the presence
        > of a kanji (pronunciation assumed).
        >
        > Which I think is supposed to be:
        >
        > "Mazu sorori, sorori to mairau." (Mairou?)
        >
        > Both my modern Japanese-English and Kogojiten give 'MADU' as 'First,
        > previously' (HAJIME NI. {SAKI} NI.) But I can't find any word that seems
        > to fit with sorori.

        "sorori to [suru]" is roughly synonymous with "shizushizu to [suru]" and
        means "quietly --" or "calmly --". So the sentence is "First, I shall calmly,
        calmly go [on my way to someplace]."

        > It seems almost like an onomotapoeia, but I'm not sure. My first guess is
        > that it means '(I) have been/am going here and there.' but I'm not sure.
        > Can anyone help me on this?

        Here's the key thing you missed. It's "TO mairu," not "NI mairu." When you
        have the "TO" it means that sorori is describing *how* one mairu-ed. <G>

        > Also, I think I have the following translated correctly, but I'm not sure
        > (numbers indicate kanji reference in Nelson's):
        >
        > KUZU JYOU ([3997][1078]) Kuzu Castle/Arrowroot Castle

        You'd think. But it's "Katsuragi."

        > HA GURO SAN ([3673][5403][1407] Mt. Haguro/Mt. Featherblack

        I got 190 hits with the kana-spelling "Haguro-san" and only 49 with
        "Haguro-yama." I'd go with "san." <G>