[SCA-JML] Re: long list of questions

    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 23, 1999
      darkstarcrashes@... wrote:

      > greetings everyone.
      >
      > my name is carl, i've just subscribed to the list. i'm not new to the
      > sca, but i've been out for a few years. i've decided to try to get
      > active again and move my persona over to japanese. being relatively new
      > (i toyed with the idea of doing a japanese persona a while ago) to the
      > japanese thing i've a bunch of questions for everyone.
      >
      > 1. the garb i have was made by using the folk wear patterns, are these
      > period? also, is there anyone out there who makes japanese garb to sell?

      Post period. Kimono are kimono, structurally, but there are certain
      stylistic differences.

      > 2. any recommendations on where i can look to choose a name?

      Solvieg-dono wrote a very informative work on Japanese names. There's also
      a short section on names in Compleat Anachronist #65, "A Japanese
      Miscellany," which you should probably get anyway if you want to do
      Japanese in the SCA.

      > 3. i've already recieved my AOA, but it was for my previous persona.
      > what is done to switch this to the new name and device? is it even
      > possible to do this?

      Awards are made to the person, not the persona.

      > 4. i've been toying with the idea of making my persona a buddhist monk,
      > perhaps one of the sohei. does anyone know where i can look for
      > information on garb for a persona like these? i am a practicing zen
      > buddhist, but i don't have access to a zendo (other than online) to get
      > robe information.

      I'm doing some extra research on this now for an upcoming CA on Japanese
      garb. How long can you wait? <G>

      > 5. any recommendations on a study at home japanese language course?

      It's a beeyatch to learn by yourself. I'd recommend looking into the
      nearest university for a class. Seriously. I've been studying the lingo on
      and off for about 20 years now... (Oy...)

      Effingham
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)