Re: [SCA-JML] in need of kydex

  • Don Luby
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Cameron Slayden wrote:

      > does anyone know a good supplier of kydex to the financially challenged? i'm
      > planning on making a little armor with it; does anyone know the best
      > thickness specifications for that use? thanks!

      http://www.gepolymershapes.com/pshapes/geps/index.jsp

      That's where I buy all of my armor plastic from - while sheets are
      ordered in 4' x 8' sections, they'll gladly cut it down for you (at no
      additional charge) - I have them send 2' x 4' sheets - and they ship
      directly to your address. I don't know how comparable they are to
      other sources people might have, but the prices seemed reasonable to
      me, they have a wide variety of thicknesses and colors, and it's all
      do-able over the web.
      Personally, I used 3'8" ABS - it's a bit cheaper than kydex, and
      quite sturdy, yet heat-formable; I found (quite empirically) that 1/4"
      is not thick enough - it cracks easily where I have all of those
      lacing holes drilled, especially the sode (I believe each sode palte
      for me has ~100 holes!).

      > -c

      Koredono

      Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono