in need of kydex

  • Cameron Slayden
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
      does anyone know a good supplier of kydex to the financially challenged? i'm
      planning on making a little armor with it; does anyone know the best
      thickness specifications for that use? thanks!

      -c

    • Don Luby
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002
        On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Cameron Slayden wrote:

        > does anyone know a good supplier of kydex to the financially challenged? i'm
        > planning on making a little armor with it; does anyone know the best
        > thickness specifications for that use? thanks!

        http://www.gepolymershapes.com/pshapes/geps/index.jsp

        That's where I buy all of my armor plastic from - while sheets are
        ordered in 4' x 8' sections, they'll gladly cut it down for you (at no
        additional charge) - I have them send 2' x 4' sheets - and they ship
        directly to your address. I don't know how comparable they are to
        other sources people might have, but the prices seemed reasonable to
        me, they have a wide variety of thicknesses and colors, and it's all
        do-able over the web.
        Personally, I used 3'8" ABS - it's a bit cheaper than kydex, and
        quite sturdy, yet heat-formable; I found (quite empirically) that 1/4"
        is not thick enough - it cracks easily where I have all of those
        lacing holes drilled, especially the sode (I believe each sode palte
        for me has ~100 holes!).

        > -c

        Koredono

        Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono