Re: Reading/speaking bungo

  • drnostrand
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2001

      Greetings from Solveig! My "god like" professor has coniption fits if
      you read classical Japanese they way it is written. He also detests
      "wapro" Japanese. Such are the ways of academics. Wapro Japanese is
      one place where he is destined to loose as there is more and more of
      it around all the time. An amusing not on Western orthography for
      Japanese. I just received my copy of Ishige's new book on Japanese
      food culture. In the introduction, he gives a pronunciation guide.
      Calling -n a naizalization of the preceeding vowel is simply
      confusing. However, the truly amuzing thing is that he intended for
      the book to use macrons over long vowels, but somehow it didn't quite
      make it through the typesetter and the book is set using circumflexes.
      How do you know that he intdended macrons? He tells you in the
      pronunciation guide that he is using macrons.