Re: [SCA-JML] Re: procedure and attitude

  • Ron Martino
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
      > Typically, you are expected to divest yourself of all steel before entering
      > the presence of the Royals. So you can wear what you want, but if you are
      > called up, you have to leave it behind. Some folks make a show of removing
      > the weapons and ceremoniously placing them on the floor or some such. It's
      > easier to just hand them to a friend. I don't think people worry as much
      > about things like eating daggers, though.
      >
      > - mokurai

      Keep in mind, this is quite kingdom-specific. For example, in Artemisia
      one of the 'perks' of an Award of Arms is the right to enter the Crown's
      presence while armed. (After all, the theory goes, they are nobles of
      the Court. Why should the Royalty fear their loyalty?)

      Yumitori
      --

      yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
    • Grim Shieldsson
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
        To be more precise.. it depends on the kingdom.. in Atenveldt you wear
        your steel when called up.

        --- mokurai <mokurai@...> wrote:
        > Typically, you are expected to divest yourself of all steel before
        > entering
        > the presence of the Royals. So you can wear what you want, but if you
        > are
        > called up, you have to leave it behind. Some folks make a show of
        > removing
        > the weapons and ceremoniously placing them on the floor or some such.
        > It's
        > easier to just hand them to a friend. I don't think people worry as
        > much
        > about things like eating daggers, though.
        >
        > - mokurai

        =====
        Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
        Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
        Barbarian Freehold Alliance
        Oppurtunity doesn't knock. It only presents itself after you kick down the door.
        --Kyle Chandler

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Carl Grasso
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
          that's what i was thinking. here in the east it is custom to remove the steel. though i've seen
          people make a big deal of keeping their sword, even refusing to enter the royal presence without
          their permission to keep the blade.
          -seiryu

          --- Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@...> wrote:
          > To be more precise.. it depends on the kingdom.. in Atenveldt you wear
          > your steel when called up.

          =====
          http://www.dharmacats.com

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • chagin1
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
            --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
            > To be more precise.. it depends on the kingdom.. in Atenveldt you
            wear
            > your steel when called up.

            Doesn't it also depend on your "rank"? An "award of arms" can be
            held to imply that you can bear arms, and I haven't seen Patents or
            Grants of Arms divest themselves of weaponry (although most with whom
            I'm acquainted do not wear huge amounts at court - they've been in
            long enough that the novelty seems to have worn off seomwhat).

            - seamus/jutte
          • Grim Shieldsson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
              That's probably a custom. In Atenveldt, it doesn't matter.. you go up
              as is.

              =====

              or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com