RE: [SCA-JML] Re: procedure and attitude

  • mokurai
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
      Typically, you are expected to divest yourself of all steel before entering
      the presence of the Royals. So you can wear what you want, but if you are
      called up, you have to leave it behind. Some folks make a show of removing
      the weapons and ceremoniously placing them on the floor or some such. It's
      easier to just hand them to a friend. I don't think people worry as much
      about things like eating daggers, though.

      - mokurai

      question... what is proper for sca court?

      The way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.
      -Phil Jackson

    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
        > Typically, you are expected to divest yourself of all steel before entering
        > the presence of the Royals. So you can wear what you want, but if you are
        > called up, you have to leave it behind. Some folks make a show of removing
        > the weapons and ceremoniously placing them on the floor or some such. It's
        > easier to just hand them to a friend. I don't think people worry as much
        > about things like eating daggers, though.
        >
        > - mokurai

        Keep in mind, this is quite kingdom-specific. For example, in Artemisia
        one of the 'perks' of an Award of Arms is the right to enter the Crown's
        presence while armed. (After all, the theory goes, they are nobles of
        the Court. Why should the Royalty fear their loyalty?)

        Yumitori
        --

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • Grim Shieldsson
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
          To be more precise.. it depends on the kingdom.. in Atenveldt you wear
          your steel when called up.

          --- mokurai <mokurai@...> wrote:
          > Typically, you are expected to divest yourself of all steel before
          > entering
          > the presence of the Royals. So you can wear what you want, but if you
          > are
          > called up, you have to leave it behind. Some folks make a show of
          > removing
          > the weapons and ceremoniously placing them on the floor or some such.
          > It's
          > easier to just hand them to a friend. I don't think people worry as
          > much
          > about things like eating daggers, though.
          >
          > - mokurai

          =====
          Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
          Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
          Barbarian Freehold Alliance
          Oppurtunity doesn't knock. It only presents itself after you kick down the door.
          --Kyle Chandler

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Carl Grasso
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2001
            that's what i was thinking. here in the east it is custom to remove the steel. though i've seen
            people make a big deal of keeping their sword, even refusing to enter the royal presence without
            their permission to keep the blade.
            -seiryu

            --- Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@...> wrote:
            > To be more precise.. it depends on the kingdom.. in Atenveldt you wear
            > your steel when called up.

            =====
            http://www.dharmacats.com

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • chagin1
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
              --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
              > To be more precise.. it depends on the kingdom.. in Atenveldt you
              wear
              > your steel when called up.

              Doesn't it also depend on your "rank"? An "award of arms" can be
              held to imply that you can bear arms, and I haven't seen Patents or
              Grants of Arms divest themselves of weaponry (although most with whom
              I'm acquainted do not wear huge amounts at court - they've been in
              long enough that the novelty seems to have worn off seomwhat).

              - seamus/jutte
            • Grim Shieldsson
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 13, 2001
                That's probably a custom. In Atenveldt, it doesn't matter.. you go up
                as is.

                =====

                or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com