Re: seven samurai question

  • ronbroberg@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
      --- In sca-jml@y..., "Cameron Slayden" <cameronslayden@h...> wrote:
      > wasn't there a russian movie or something that the seven samurai was
      based
      > on? i'm thinking of holding a viewing of all the movies in the
      series:

      > the precursor movie that inspired the seven samurai (if it exists)
      > the seven samurai
      > the magnificent seven
      > the three amigos
      > a bug's life

      I doubt that there is a mainstream movie, but maybe you could get a
      Greek chorus and a few college actors to do Seven Against Thebes by
      Aeschylus rumored to be a Greek play with similar elements.

      Come to think of it, reading a classic greek play as a sake game seems
      to me to have the right mix of elements for a successful creative
      anachronism!

      --otagiri
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
        there was a really awful space opera that was based on Seven Samurai, but I
        can't remember it's name at the moment...it had "John Boy Walton" in
        it......and a space ship that looked like a woman's reproductive organs!!!

        Kiri

        Cameron Slayden wrote:

        > wasn't there a russian movie or something that the seven samurai was based
        > on? i'm thinking of holding a viewing of all the movies in the series:
        >
        > the precursor movie that inspired the seven samurai (if it exists)
        > the seven samurai
        > the magnificent seven
        > the three amigos
        > a bug's life
        >
        > anybody who lives in the DC area is welcome, once i get ahold of all the
        > movies.
        >
        > -c

        Elaine Koogler

        "A stroke of the brush does not guarantee Art from the bristles"

        -- Kosh
      • mokurai
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
          Battle Beyond the Stars - I think someone already mentioned it.

          Here's the write-up...

          http://us.imdb.com/Title?0080421

          My favourite was the bad-buy mutants. You know scenes from this opus have
          appeared in about a dozen other low-budget films that just found it easier
          to paste in the space ships rather than animate their own.

          - mokurai (movie addict)

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
            Sorry about repeating information others had posted. I was away and the
            Mid-Realm Cooks' Symposium this weekend, and had a huge batch of messages
            waiting for me. But yes, that's the one!

            Kiri the Absentminded