Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Shields in Japan??

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 1, 2001
      On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 spook23.geo@... wrote:

      > I seem to recall a video or documetary about weapons of Okinawa (a
      > bit off the mark, granted) and one of the fellows demonstrated a
      > sword and shield style of fighting. The sword was brutal looking and
      > short (like a Japanese-style machete) and the shield looked like
      > black laquered iron, dome shaped, and about 18 inches across. The
      > shield had holes through it in a sort of pattern; the holes being
      > about 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter, apparently to reduce weight.
      > The re-enactment had the pluck Okinawan against an armored bushi,
      > dodging and blocking with his light shield, closing in for the kill
      > in about 3 steps.
      > I think it was a form of karate that used this...

      Well, according to Gichin Funakoshi in "Karate-do: My Way of Life",
      karate (lit. "Chinese hand")* and Okinawate (lit. "Okinawan hand") evolved
      from kempo (Chinese Boxing), which was probably through trade
      with the people of Fukien Province in southern China. They started to
      learn this method of self-defense, he claims, because of the ban on
      weapons instituted first by Sho Hanzi, ruler of Chuzan (one of the three
      kingdoms of the Ryukyus. Sho Hanzi apparently unified the kingdoms into
      one) and later reissued by the conquering Shimazu, daimyo of Satsuma, in
      the early 17th century.

      As such, I think it would be fair to say that sword and shield is not a
      'karate' form, as 'karate' was developed specifically because they no
      longer had access to weapons of war like swords and shields.

      However, at the same time, 'Tinbei' appears to be alive and well in the
      Okinawan kobudo (weapons arts) traditions. Tinbei-jutsu appears to be the
      technique of using a small, buckler with another weapon (I have seen, most
      often, pictures of a machete-like short sword, but I have seen reference
      to its use with spears as well).

      Still, as you noted, this is an art of the Ryukyu islands. As such it
      should not be used to infer that the buke of Yamato were using sword and
      shield. However, I wonder how it would work in SCA combat?

      -Ii
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 1, 2001