Re: [SCA-JML] seven samurai question

  • Cameron Slayden
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2001
      thanks for the info! it looks like even if we get an early start i'm going
      to have to provide room and board for the viewers...

      -c

      From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] seven samurai question
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:46:32 -0500

      Cameron Slayden wrote:

      > wasn't there a russian movie or something that the seven samurai was
      based
      > on? i'm thinking of holding a viewing of all the movies in the series:

      No, it was a Kurosawa original story, based on something he'd read in a
      history book years before about a village hiring samurai. You might want to
      get the Criterion DVD and listen to the commentary track -- it's full of
      insights.

      > the precursor movie that inspired the seven samurai (if it exists)
      > the seven samurai
      > the magnificent seven
      > the three amigos
      > a bug's life

      Don't forget "Battle Beyond the Planets" (making Robert Vaughan the first
      person to play in *two* take-offs of the film) and "[Hercules and the] Seven
      Magnificent Gladiators" (making Sybill Danning, who was in "Battle," the
      *second* person to appear in two remakes.

      Also the excoriable "Dune Warriors" (which reduced the number of mercenaries
      to a lower-budget five), the hard to find "Dikii Vostok" (a post-Glasnost
      Soviet film about some renegade circus dwarves living in the wild who hire
      some ruffians to protect them from other ruffians [!!]). Depending on who
      you
      talk to, the Chinese film "Zhan shen tan" is also possibly a Seven Samurai
      clone. I don't know about that one, though.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2001
        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Cameron Slayden" <cameronslayden@h...> wrote:
        > wasn't there a russian movie or something that the seven samurai was
        based
        > on? i'm thinking of holding a viewing of all the movies in the
        series:

        > the precursor movie that inspired the seven samurai (if it exists)
        > the seven samurai
        > the magnificent seven
        > the three amigos
        > a bug's life

        I doubt that there is a mainstream movie, but maybe you could get a
        Greek chorus and a few college actors to do Seven Against Thebes by
        Aeschylus rumored to be a Greek play with similar elements.

        Come to think of it, reading a classic greek play as a sake game seems
        to me to have the right mix of elements for a successful creative
        anachronism!

        --otagiri
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
          there was a really awful space opera that was based on Seven Samurai, but I
          can't remember it's name at the moment...it had "John Boy Walton" in
          it......and a space ship that looked like a woman's reproductive organs!!!

          Kiri

          Cameron Slayden wrote:

          > wasn't there a russian movie or something that the seven samurai was based
          > on? i'm thinking of holding a viewing of all the movies in the series:
          >
          > the precursor movie that inspired the seven samurai (if it exists)
          > the seven samurai
          > the magnificent seven
          > the three amigos
          > a bug's life
          >
          > anybody who lives in the DC area is welcome, once i get ahold of all the
          > movies.
          >
          > -c

          Elaine Koogler

          "A stroke of the brush does not guarantee Art from the bristles"

          -- Kosh
        • mokurai
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
            Battle Beyond the Stars - I think someone already mentioned it.

            Here's the write-up...

            http://us.imdb.com/Title?0080421

            My favourite was the bad-buy mutants. You know scenes from this opus have
            appeared in about a dozen other low-budget films that just found it easier
            to paste in the space ships rather than animate their own.

            - mokurai (movie addict)

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2001
              Sorry about repeating information others had posted. I was away and the
              Mid-Realm Cooks' Symposium this weekend, and had a huge batch of messages
              waiting for me. But yes, that's the one!

              Kiri the Absentminded