obi

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2001
      questions, what is the appropriate way to wear an obi with a Kataginu
      kamishimo style outfit? would it be under the hakama or would it be
      worn out? also, any recommendations for wearing a sword through the
      obi, i do it one way but there is a bit of give with the katana and
      it moves around a bit, i wonder if there are other more effective
      ways of wearing it?

      Ukyo
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2001
        On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Rob wrote:

        > questions, what is the appropriate way to wear an obi with a Kataginu
        > kamishimo style outfit? would it be under the hakama or would it be
        > worn out? also, any recommendations for wearing a sword through the
        > obi, i do it one way but there is a bit of give with the katana and
        > it moves around a bit, i wonder if there are other more effective
        > ways of wearing it?

        Would you wear one? I'm not sure if you need one or not, as the
        koshi-himo would seem to be enough (at least, they have been for me).

        If obi were worn with the hakama, then I would think that they would be
        worn under, but I could be wrong.

        -Ii
      • vodican
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 2001
          There is no need to wear an obi if you are wearing hakamas. The belt
          of the hakama will hold everything together. Are you refering to
          anouther type of out fit? If so what.

          Hideyoshi Yoshimitsu no Ju-hachi-i

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2001
            Semester ended... able to breathe at last... catching up on e-mails.

            vodican wrote:

            > There is no need to wear an obi if you are wearing hakamas. The belt
            > of the hakama will hold everything together. Are you refering to
            > anouther type of out fit? If so what.

            Well, actually, yes, you *do* wear an obi. It's what holds the kosode closed
            before you put the hakama on and after you take it off.