Re: [SCA-JML] laces?

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
      Anthony Thompson wrote:

      > I have decided to make my own armour, so I am wondering what kind of
      > materials I should use for lacings. I have looked at Effingham-dono's site,
      > and I cannot find most of the material he/you suggest(s). So, I am
      > wondering if anyone could tell me a good kind of material to use that is
      > relatively cheap. Please, I beg of you.

      You can't contact www.lacesforless.com?

      They're wonderful.

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
        Ash Smith wrote:

        > In my experience, the 100Lbs test nylon cord you can get from home Depot and
        > etc works really well... just be sure to smooth out the holes in the armor
        > so it doesn't cut the cording.

        The round stuff? AIIEE!

        *Never* use round cord for Japanese armour. Flat. Flat. Flat.

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
          Steve wrote:

          > I used Macrame Cording, comes in many nice colors that hold up well too.

          That is EVIL!!!

          Sorry but that's.... wrong. So.... wrong.....

          Odoshi is FLAT, not round.

          Effingham
        • Steve

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
              Steve wrote:

              > it comes in flat Brother-Bryant-Domo, it was 6 or 8 strand braided.

              No way!!

              All the crappy hobby stores around here only have that really frizzy
              round stuff (that looks like hairy, colored ropes)....

              Now I must hate you. <G>

              Effingham
            • Steve
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
                come up to Fort Wayne Indiana, Shadowed Stars,  and I will get you some, name your color...

                Its like the flat type tennis shoe laces, lay's nice and flat, comes in 300 and 600 foot hank's   :)
                But it IS nylon. :(

                 so dont hate me too badly

                Kyoto

                Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
                Steve wrote:

                it comes in flat Brother-Bryant-Domo, it was 6 or 8 strand braided.

                No way!!

                All the crappy hobby stores around here only have that really frizzy
                round stuff (that looks like hairy, colored ropes)....

                Now I must hate you. <G>

                Effingham

              • Ash Smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
                  Well... sometimes holds together for long time > looks perfectly period.
                  imo anyway :)
                  Especially if your working on a budget. But flat would be preferable.. of
                  course :)

                  --Ash

                  Yeah though I walk through the valley of the bovine, I shall fear no pucky.
                  For the enemy is but smelly shit underfoot.

                  > > In my experience, the 100Lbs test nylon cord you can get from home Depot
                  and
                  > > etc works really well... just be sure to smooth out the holes in the
                  armor
                  > > so it doesn't cut the cording.
                  >
                  > The round stuff? AIIEE!
                  >
                  > *Never* use round cord for Japanese armour. Flat. Flat. Flat.
                  >

                  > Effingham

                • Anthony Thompson
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
                    How will I know how many sets of shoe laces to get? I would prefer
                    something that comes in a roll, to be sure I will have enough. I am a
                    paranoid OCD when it comes to making sure I will have enough to have at
                    least a little extra.

                    Anthony
                  • Ash Smith
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
                      Purple?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
                        they had a lot of colors, look at JoAnn Fabrics, or Hobby Lobby,

                        I used 1800 foot Dark blue for the main parts, and a 500 foot of Rust (
                        like red) for highlights. like the bottom row of stiching, the pieces.
                        even added a pair of wooden beads accross the chest, at the end of the
                        Knot for the shoulder plates, and 2 55 gal plastic trash cans, but with
                        the dense lacing, the black plastic hardly could be seen anyway.

                        Kyoto

                        Ash Smith wrote:

                        >Purple?
                        >
                        >--Ash
                        >
                        >Yeah though I walk through the valley of the bovine, I shall fear no pucky.
                        >For the enemy is but smelly shit underfoot.

                      • Steve
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 6, 2001
                          they had a lot of colors, look at JoAnn Fabrics, or Hobby Lobby, the
                          lacing was about 1/2 inch wide when laced up.

                          it laid FLAT ( emphasis for Effingham-Dono)

                          Ash Smith wrote:

                          >Purple?
                          >
                          >--Ash
                          >
                          >Yeah though I walk through the valley of the bovine, I shall fear no pucky.
                          >For the enemy is but smelly shit underfoot.

                        • Mark Collino
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 7, 2001
                            I agree mine was acquired at Jo Anne Fabrics as well.
                            very strong, beautiful colors and inexpensive. I have
                            pictures of it in the groups file for pictures and
                            armor someplace.

                            As for the leather I agree that a good soaking in
                            lacquer is fantastic. I soaked mine for 2 days then
                            formed it and its as strong as steel. I have hit it
                            with a 50 pound sledge hammer with minor deflection.
                            There is a "grain" to leather though so make sure you
                            cross grain it. I used 2 layers of 10 oz cross
                            grained for strength. Shape it and place them together
                            while the lacquer is still wet and they will NOT
                            seperate.

                            Respectfully,

                            Mori Ieyasu

                            --- Steve <kyoto@...> wrote:
                            > they had a lot of colors, look at JoAnn Fabrics, or
                            > Hobby Lobby, the
                            > lacing was about 1/2 inch wide when laced up.
                            >
                            > it laid FLAT ( emphasis for Effingham-Dono)
                            >
                            > I used 1800 foot Dark blue for the main parts, and
                            > a 500 foot of Rust (
                            > like red) for highlights. like the bottom row of
                            > stiching, the pieces.
                            > even added a pair of wooden beads accross the
                            > chest, at the end of the
                            > Knot for the shoulder plates, and 2 55 gal plastic
                            > trash cans, but with
                            > the dense lacing, the black plastic hardly could be
                            > seen anyway.
                            >
                            > Kyoto

                            Find a job, post your resume.
                            http://careers.yahoo.com
                          • Elsyr
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 7, 2001
                              I am in the process of relacing my ni-mai do with Laces for Less stuff and it has
                              worked really well so far. Originally I used this really awful round stuff, but
                              at the time I didn't know any better. For my sugake laced do, a double roll (288
                              yards) of the medium blue primary color is going to suffice, and I will make just
                              a tiny dent in the 144 yard red and white rolls I bought for accents. At $29 for
                              144 yards (when I purchased a few months ago), the price is probably hard to beat.

                              Sakurakawa

                              "Anthony J. Bryant" wrote:

                              > Anthony Thompson wrote:
                              >
                              > > I have decided to make my own armour, so I am wondering what kind of
                              > > materials I should use for lacings. I have looked at Effingham-dono's site,
                              > > and I cannot find most of the material he/you suggest(s). So, I am
                              > > wondering if anyone could tell me a good kind of material to use that is
                              > > relatively cheap. Please, I beg of you.

                              > You can't contact www.lacesforless.com?
                              >
                              > They're wonderful.
                              >
                              > Effingham

                            • Jamie Norwood
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 7, 2001
                                On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 09:27:39AM -0500, Elsyr wrote:
                                > I am in the process of relacing my ni-mai do with Laces for Less stuff and it has
                                > worked really well so far. Originally I used this really awful round stuff, but
                                > at the time I didn't know any better. For my sugake laced do, a double roll (288
                                > yards) of the medium blue primary color is going to suffice, and I will make just
                                > a tiny dent in the 144 yard red and white rolls I bought for accents. At $29 for
                                > 144 yards (when I purchased a few months ago), the price is probably hard to beat.
                                >
                                > Sakurakawa

                                I didn't see the rolls on their site... Did you need to mail them about it,
                                or have they stopped offering non-cut lacing? Do you recommend any specific
                                'line', or just any of their flat laces?

                                Jamie

                                > "Anthony J. Bryant" wrote:
                                >
                                > > Anthony Thompson wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > I have decided to make my own armour, so I am wondering what kind of
                                > > > materials I should use for lacings. I have looked at Effingham-dono's site,
                                > > > and I cannot find most of the material he/you suggest(s). So, I am
                                > > > wondering if anyone could tell me a good kind of material to use that is
                                > > > relatively cheap. Please, I beg of you.

                                > > You can't contact www.lacesforless.com?
                                > >
                                > > They're wonderful.
                                > >
                                > > Effingham

                              • Elsyr
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 7, 2001
                                  I emailed them about ordering in bulk - they don't advertise the bulk rolls on the
                                  website. The lace I used was their athletic lace in the 3/8" flat size. The medium
                                  blue I used, by the way, is not listed on the site as a color option for the 3/8" (only
                                  the 5/8" wide lace), but they had no problem providing it. In fact, I believe they told
                                  me that any color they make any lace in is available for any style of lacing. They were
                                  also perfectly happy to send me color samples (free) before I ordered.

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 7, 2001
                                    Mark Collino wrote:

                                    > I agree mine was acquired at Jo Anne Fabrics as well.
                                    > very strong, beautiful colors and inexpensive. I have
                                    > pictures of it in the groups file for pictures and
                                    > armor someplace.
                                    >
                                    > As for the leather I agree that a good soaking in
                                    > lacquer is fantastic.

                                    Ummm... when you say lacquer, what are you speaking of exactly? Not real
                                    lacquer, surely.

                                    > I soaked mine for 2 days then
                                    > formed it and its as strong as steel. I have hit it
                                    > with a 50 pound sledge hammer with minor deflection.
                                    > There is a "grain" to leather though so make sure you
                                    > cross grain it. I used 2 layers of 10 oz cross
                                    > grained for strength. Shape it and place them together
                                    > while the lacquer is still wet and they will NOT
                                    > seperate.

                                    Effingham
                                  • yamashiro_kato@yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 9, 2001
                                      --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony Thompson" <ajt526@u...> wrote:
                                      > I have decided to make my own armour, so I am wondering what kind of
                                      > materials I should use for lacings. I have looked at Effingham-
                                      > dono's site, and I cannot find most of the material he/you
                                      > suggests). So, I am wondering if anyone could tell me a good kind
                                      > of material to use that isrelatively cheap. Please, I beg of you.
                                      >
                                      > Kagesue

                                      I used parachute cord on mine (visit our Yahoo Groups Photos
                                      section). They come in many colors, very strong, lightweight, and is
                                      really affordable. Where I got mine was like 150 yards for $5.00 or
                                      something like that.

                                      One thing is that it is round. I was lucky that my first batch was
                                      at the end of the roll so it was smashed down flat. However, on my
                                      second batch, it was round. I fixed that by taking the lining out of
                                      the cord. This made it lay flat.

                                      Another thing to consider is they do not come in various widths like
                                      others have mentioned. But, if you do the spacing right, it is
                                      cheap, strong and can come in many colors.

                                      Of course I could be wrong. I am not an expert, just an amatuer Nip
                                      compared to others here.

                                      -Yamashiro Kato'