Names?

  • Ash Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
      Someone posted a URL re Japanese naming for me some time ago and now I've
      lost it. Could you please post it again?

      Also reading some of other's names... would the name Kobushi Miyomato be
      acceptable? Kobushi means honorable warrior.

      --Ash

      Yeah though I walk through the valley of the bovine, I shall fear no pucky.
      For the enemy is but smelly shit underfoot.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001

        Greetings from Solveig! I think that people were interested in translating
        Ash for you as the name of a tree and doing something with that. As for
        Miyomato, I think that you are thinking of Miyamoto which is the name of
        a really famous swordsman. While there were lots of other Miyamoto around
        and you can register Miyamoto as part of your name, I think that you should
        be prepared to be challenged to a lot of duels and possibly laughed at if
        you loose. This of course demonstrates ignorance in your opponents, but
        such is life. Kobushi as you construct is not a name.

        Please do not think of a name as self-advertising. A name is, well, a name.
        It should be auspicious, because the people who give out names generally
        mean well by the recipient. But, names really aren't billboards. If you
        go out and win a bunch of crowns, your name will strike terror in people
        even if it means "flower sniffer." If on the other hand, you call yourself
        "Jack the Giant Killer" and don't know which end of the sword is the handle,
        then people will laugh at you.

        You most definitely CAN be a member of the buke (military class) and you
        can go out and become a fierce warrior. If that is your intent and you
        are guy or wish to portray one, then you need three names:

        A surname is something like: Kiriyama
        A yobina is something like: Taroujirou
        A nanori is something like: Hideyuki

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Ash Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
          I had seen some names that were similar, so I wasn't sure...
          There was some discussion about Japanese naming their sons in such a way as
          to make them seem better/smarter/etc for some sort of advantage, or perhaps
          I misunderstood. Plus I just liked the way it looked ^_^ hehe.
          yes, if someone could translate "ash" as the tree into Japanese for me that
          would be nice.. although I want something that could be written in hiragana
          (though I believe the momoyama period pre-dates katakana's wide use doesn't
          it?).

          As for duels, I'm always up to fight, especially people better than me--
          best way to learn imo. ;)

          On a more/quasi-personal note, do you mind telling me/the group what area of
          interest your Ph. D. is for?

          Thanks,