[SCA-JML] Re: Mon question

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2001
      Ii Dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! You need to remember that Arabitogami such as
      the Soga brothers can be turned into agricultural gods. The association
      between kitsune and the inari shrines does not mean that the foxes are
      somehow good guys. They are not viewed as ultimate evil either. They
      are sort of trickster archetypes. As far as mainland influence goes,
      we don't have anything written down from before mainland influence.

      >I wonder how much livestock was kept by the Japanese, and whether they
      >brought it with them or it came later?

      That question will get you bogged down in the question of who are the
      Japanese and where did they come from. For some reason I never associated
      rabbits with flooded rice paddies. Interestingly enough, the rabbit is
      fairly popular in Japan and shows up in kamon.

      Amateur Schcolar
      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Ash Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2001
        Re: The rabbits
        One reason for the rabbit's popularity (even today as can be seen especially
        in anime and etc). Is that the Japanese believe in order to be strong, one
        must first be meek. (This is why many Japanese story heroes are blithering
        idiots/innocents/children/etc) The rabbit makes a perfect symbol for
        meek/weak.

        --Ash

        Yeah though I walk through the valley of the bovine, I shall fear no pucky.
        For the enemy is but smelly shit underfoot.