Re: Too un-period?

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 4 8:23 AM
      > From: Ron Martino <yumitori@...>

      > We're drifting off-topic, but I'll throw in my standard 'what is art?'
      > comments any way...
      >
      > I disagree with those who say 'such-and-such is not art'. Sure it is.

      I did say it was art, con art ;) What can I say? I'm a cranky old guy
      who likes art that's at least a little bit representational and I like
      my poetry to rhyme. What a dinosaur!

      This stuff of course exists in period, some of the ink splash paintings
      and super abstracted calligraphy that's unreadable are almost in the
      same category. Since many of the upper class in China set themselves up
      as the arbiters of taste, many of the schools that didn't fit the
      fashion were not successful and most of their works disappeared. In
      Japan they saved almost anything they received from China, so some of
      the older, less known schools are preserved there.

      For a very low brow take on the literati, see "The Flirting Scholar"
      with Gong Li. This may be the ONLY happy Gong Li film!

      Jim Eckman