kofun pictures

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2001
      Hello all, in the Files section I have set up a folder called "5th c.
      madness." I have pictures of myself in my Kofun garb. Explanations:

      € amber beads: Most haniwa (kofun-period terra cotta figurines) are shown
      with beads around the neck. Amber beads have been unearthed from the time;
      I like amber, so decided to wear them. Other choices would have been shell,
      various types of stone, etc.

      € shell decorations: there is archaelogical evidence which may point to the
      decoration of yayoi-period clothing with shells like these. We aren't sure
      how they would have been applied if indeed they were; perhaps they were
      sewn all over the garment, in interesting patterns? To be safe, I only put
      on a few.

      € face painting: Many haniwa show red face colorations which might either
      be paint or tattoos. I won't tattoo my face, so I used face paint instead.
      The pattern is made up since I don't know what the pattern of a potter would
      have been; however, the red should probably go all around the eyes and not
      just on the cheeks, but I had problems with the paint running when I sweated
      (I couldn't find face paints so I used finger paints--silly me), and I
      didn't want it in my eyes. When I get real face paints I will probably put
      it in swathes of color that go over my eyes.

      € hairstyle: inspired by haniwa hairstyles.

      € clothing: based on haniwa styles. All constructed out of uniform widths
      of fabric, roughly the width of my body, which is in accordance with the way
      ancient weaving is supposed to have been operated. The fabric is linen, of
      a weave that most closely resembles hemp. I couldn't find any real hemp to
      buy, let alone any that would have been appropriate for my budget.

      € hems: done according to Japanese folk hems and the hems on particularly
      detailed haniwa.

      € food: you can't see it, but in one of the pictures I have a Japanese yam.
      The indigenous yam (Dioscorea japonica) has been unearthed in countless
      sites, as old as the Jomon period. Other foods include chestnuts, millet,
      barley, acorns, gourd, buckwheat, azuki beans, etc.

      What's missing: large hoop earrings; I still haven't found the right
      material for them. Shoes of some sort; I will probably end up making
      waraji or the primitive form of geta that has been unearthed in tombs.
      Magatama: comma-shaped beads that were very popular in early Japan; I have
      yet to find out for certain whether they were only worn by certain classes.

      Stephen (Eight-fields of the Potters)
      Only a voice,
      A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
      Visibly lay, but when I looked
      It had vanished--
      This flickering form...
      Like haze over the fields.

      --Seami Motokiyo (1363-1444)
    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2001
        > From: "stephen higa" <mitsuo@...>

        These are very cool.

        Thanks!

        Jim Eckman
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001
          stephen higa wrote:

          > Hello all, in the Files section I have set up a folder called "5th c.
          > madness." I have pictures of myself in my Kofun garb. Explanations:

          <snip>

          ..... sniff.....

          I'm so HAPPY.....

          This is spectacular. Abso-frikkin-lootly spectacular. The only thing I have issues with is the amber
          beads, but... damn.

          Nice job.

          Effingham
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2001
            I concurr... Finally, we have early period folks not from Celtic or Viking
            cultures! I hope to see this get-up at Pennsic next year!

            Kinoshita