Re: Too un-period?

  • mneumark@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001
      --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
      > I suspect that this was an outgrowth of the fact that the Japanese
      imported
      > Chinese culture wholesale during various periods of their history.
      The
      > concept of learning by copying the masters was very important in
      China...to
      > the point that they published "The Mustard Seed Garden Manual of
      Painting" in
      > the 16th century, which contained examples of work by the various
      masters of
      > different items (grasses, bamboo, etc.) for the student to copy.

      It's extremely common in europe as well to "copy the masters." In
      fact, to this day they still make us pee on art students copy
      Michaelangelo and Carvaggio...all those o artists. I've personally
      found it very helpful. :)

      --Raku-o
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 3, 2001
        I know that in my field of expertise, electronic music (massively OOP here)
        I copy the sounds of the great keyboardists and see what I can come up with.
        And when I write music in Renaissance style, I mimic the style of Susato or
        Praetorius. However, when I write my own music, the only style I copy is my
        own.
        > It's extremely common in europe as well to "copy the masters." In
        > fact, to this day they still make us pee on art students copy
        > Michaelangelo and Carvaggio...all those o artists. I've personally
        > found it very helpful. :)
        >
        > --Raku-o
        Pee on art students? My my!

        Kinoshita Yoshimori

        .
      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 4, 2001
          > From: Ron Martino <yumitori@...>

          > We're drifting off-topic, but I'll throw in my standard 'what is art?'
          > comments any way...
          >
          > I disagree with those who say 'such-and-such is not art'. Sure it is.

          I did say it was art, con art ;) What can I say? I'm a cranky old guy
          who likes art that's at least a little bit representational and I like
          my poetry to rhyme. What a dinosaur!

          This stuff of course exists in period, some of the ink splash paintings
          and super abstracted calligraphy that's unreadable are almost in the
          same category. Since many of the upper class in China set themselves up
          as the arbiters of taste, many of the schools that didn't fit the
          fashion were not successful and most of their works disappeared. In
          Japan they saved almost anything they received from China, so some of
          the older, less known schools are preserved there.

          For a very low brow take on the literati, see "The Flirting Scholar"
          with Gong Li. This may be the ONLY happy Gong Li film!

          Jim Eckman