Re: [SCA-JML] First Japanese contact with Europe?

  • Nate Ledbetter
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
      Kiri-dono:

      And that's totally cool...I just cringe when I start
      to hear the "I was captured by pirates who dumped me
      off in the ocean and then I was rescued by a viking
      longboat, lived with them until they raided the coast
      of England and I got left behind, met a wandering
      Irishman who took me in....and that's why I wear a
      kilt with my kosode and a viking helmet when I fight."

      Painful.

      Shonaigawa

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • kujika@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2001
        for the love of ___________ (fill in the blank with the word or words of your chouse) just get alonge
      • Markejag@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 10, 2001
          Adding more fuel to the fire,

          Now if I can find my reference, In the late 16th century France, they did have some maki-e lacquered, paper-maiche endtables and trays of Japanese origin.
          You did not have to go to Japan to get them, but if you had money $$$, you could get them to come to you.  Oh and by the way, this did spark a big interest in paper-maiche products by the 17th century, which died out by the end of the 17th century.

          Bun-ami

          Someone was asking about trying to have some sort of Western contact.
          I was exploring the limits of such possibilities. I am not saying
          that we have stamped passport books for people going farther West
          than India. If you will reread my original posting, I used the word
          "speculate" in it and then went on to say that persona story speculation
          is unnecessary.