RE: [SCA-JML] How to make nagabakama?

  • Stephanie McMechan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2001
      Hello all,

      I also made the nagabakama from Kass's web site, or tried too. :) Any
      way, I am still confused about how the tie is sewn onto the nagabakama.
      I sewed the tie to the back of the pants (to the side seams) and then
      try to pleat or gather the front and use the tie to keep it up. When I
      walk on the nagabakama, I pull out my pleats and it opens up. Is this a
      hazard of the style? Right now my nagabakama is a little frustrating to
      wear, but I am determined to make it work. I'm currently not familiar
      with Japanese dress and tend to get lost with the lingo. Any help is
      appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Suhayla

      Thanks, Throndardottir-dono!

      I was actually planning on Kamakura period from the very
      beginning; I just forgot to mention that fact.

      One of the Heian-period costume reproductions I've seen
      (I forget the website) has the lady wearing kiribakama,
      although that is an informal summer outfit. What they
      wore to bum around the house, I suppose. :)

      When you mention late period, do you mean late SCA
      period or late Heian period?

      Thanks much for the explanation of nagabakama, as I had
      not understood that there were two layers. The fabric I
      have, which is a lovely texture and suitable color for
      an unmarried woman's hakama, might be long enough for ue
      no hakama.

      Ponte Alto no Ellen
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! There is some thinking that earlier period
      > hakama were about ankle length. However, I do not recommend changing
      > your period of interest simply to accomidate a temporary shortage of
      > cloth. The only other possibility is determining just how long the
      > two sets of hakama were. A fully dressed lady of the Heian period
      > would be wearing two pairs of hakama. The inner hakama are called
      > haribakama and a quite long trailing behind the person wearing them.
      > Outer hakama are called ue no hakama and are rather shorter. These
      > hakama may still not be short enough to be made out of your material.
      >
      > If you are sufficiently late period, you can make low ankle length
      > kiribakama and dispense with long bakama. Another option is to make
      > a mobakama which is a kind of skirt and is also more or less ankle
      > length.
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar
      > --

      > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM
      |
      > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est
      |
      > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@...

      > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com
      |
      > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com
      |
      > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com
      |
      > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net
      |
      > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com
      |
      > | techie.com, msn.com |

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/