Recovery of a ship from the Mongol Invasion

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
      I know very few of you speak Japanese, but I couldn't pass up the chance to
      pass this along.

      There is a recovery underway of the wreckage (the bits and pieces, really)
      from one of the Mongol ships used in the 1281 invasion of Japan. So far,
      there's nothing really to write home about, but the link to a short article
      in Japanese is:

      http://www.asahi.com/culture/bunka/K2001102000081.html

      You can also go to the Asahi newspaper homepage (http://www.asahi.com/) and
      search for "genkou."

      Efingham
    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
        > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
        > Subject: Recovery of a ship from the Mongol Invasion
        >
        > There is a recovery underway of the wreckage (the bits and pieces, really)
        > from one of the Mongol ships used in the 1281 invasion of Japan. So far,
        > there's nothing really to write home about, but the link to a short article
        > in Japanese is:
        >
        > http://www.asahi.com/culture/bunka/K2001102000081.html

        Omoshirokatta. They just showed the the invasion on Hojo Tokimune. It
        was a bit too much like D-Day though to be believable. I started looking
        around for Tom Hanks ;) The ships are really cool though!

        Jim Eckman
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2001
          James Eckman wrote:

          > > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
          > > Subject: Recovery of a ship from the Mongol Invasion
          > >
          > > There is a recovery underway of the wreckage (the bits and pieces, really)
          > > from one of the Mongol ships used in the 1281 invasion of Japan. So far,
          > > there's nothing really to write home about, but the link to a short article
          > > in Japanese is:
          > >
          > > http://www.asahi.com/culture/bunka/K2001102000081.html
          >
          > Omoshirokatta. They just showed the the invasion on Hojo Tokimune. It
          > was a bit too much like D-Day though to be believable. I started looking
          > around for Tom Hanks ;) The ships are really cool though!

          You got videotapes?

          (He asked hopefully...considering one of the areas he's looking at for a
          dissertation is on the Mongol Invasion...)

          Effingham
        • Nate Ledbetter
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
            > Omoshirokatta. They just showed the the invasion on
            > Hojo Tokimune. It
            > was a bit too much like D-Day though to be
            > believable. I started looking
            > around for Tom Hanks ;) The ships are really cool
            > though!
            >
            > Jim Eckman

            DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE TAIGA DRAMA???????

            OH my lord, all the buddhas and boddhisattvas, I would
            become your servant forever to have access to them.
            You don't have it on tape, do you? Tommu Hanksu or no
            Tommu Hanksu...

            Shonaigawa

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
              Noble Cousins!

              Greetings from Solveig! Does anyone here have access to NHK satellite
              feed? If so, recording the Taiga dramas is a fairly simple matter.
              It does require lots of video tape.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Nate Ledbetter
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
                --- Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@...> wrote:
                > Noble Cousins!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig! Does anyone here have access
                > to NHK satellite
                > feed? If so, recording the Taiga dramas is a fairly
                > simple matter.
                > It does require lots of video tape.

                That is, in fact, the problem. Not having access to
                NHK satellite feed in the huge urban center known as
                Kentucky, I am Pucky out of Luck.

                Shonaigawa

                http://personals.yahoo.com
              • James Eckman
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
                  From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
                  You got videotapes?

                  (He asked hopefully...considering one of the areas he's looking at for a
                  dissertation is on the Mongol Invasion...)

                  I'll have to check if I taped that one or not.

                  Jim Eckman
                • James Eckman
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
                    From: Nate Ledbetter <ltdomer98@...>
                    >DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE TAIGA DRAMA???????

                    Yes, but if I'm home, I don't tape them.

                    I think the local Japanese video shop has them, but I only have one
                    deck, so I have no method of copying.

                    >Greetings from Solveig! Does anyone here have access to NHK satellite
                    feed? If so, recording the Taiga dramas is a fairly simple matter.
                    It does require lots of video tape.

                    Yes, I think it's up to episode 30 or so with another 20 or more to go.
                    50 hours of jidai-geki! Of course in Japan it might be over already.

                    Jim Eckman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
                      James Eckman wrote:

                      > From: Nate Ledbetter <ltdomer98@...>
                      > >DO YOU HAVE ACCESS TO THE TAIGA DRAMA???????
                      >
                      > Yes, but if I'm home, I don't tape them.
                      >
                      > I think the local Japanese video shop has them, but I only have one
                      > deck, so I have no method of copying.
                      >
                      > >Greetings from Solveig! Does anyone here have access to NHK satellite
                      > feed? If so, recording the Taiga dramas is a fairly simple matter.
                      > It does require lots of video tape.
                      >
                      > Yes, I think it's up to episode 30 or so with another 20 or more to go.
                      > 50 hours of jidai-geki! Of course in Japan it might be over already.

                      It will end in another few month. It runs from early January through
                      December.

                      So... why do you only have one deck? <G>

                      Tony