Re: tooth blacking again...

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2001
      > Another exageration. Where do these ideas come from? The emperor engaged
      > in ritual meals and also in actual meals.

      Oops, sorry! I meant that it wouldn't be a big concern for Heian personae
      who have to blacken their teeth because they could always not eat at events
      except in private. However, I do have to eat.

      > For that matter, exposed tooth smiles were considered undignified in the
      > West until only a couple of hundred years ago. Only the demented, &al were
      > known to expose their teeth before then. This change in attitude was
      > brought about in large part by advances in dentistry.

      Really? Wow, I guess this whole not showing the teeth thing will have to
      affect all three personae (my main one is a 12th c. Spaniard)

      -----------------------
      Effingham wrote:
      > It's irrelevant. Only the kuge were doing the tooth-blacking in the early
      > years, and definitely NO ONE was doing it in the Kofun period.

      Oh; Lady Fujiwara told me this was a quite ancient practice, and that it
      occurs amongst some Polynesian cultures as well. I was thinking that it was
      a ritualistic thing (anti-death) that had deep roots in indigenous Japanese
      religion which at least since the Wei Chih has viewed death as unclean.

      Incidentally, they have unearthed MANY skulls with the front teeth knocked
      out (i.e., too many to attribute it to natural happenstance); archaeologists
      have begun to speculate that this was cosmetic or ritualistic or something.
      Does anybody know about this? However, I'm not about to do that to myself.
      ;)

      Stephen
      Only a voice,
      A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
      Visibly lay, but when I looked
      It had vanished--
      This flickering form...
      Like haze over the fields.