Re: Further Heraldic Questions (Long) (Was: Re: [SCA-JML] Shields in Japan)

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001

      Greetings from Solveig! Try Gorou or as Baron Edward prefers Gorô.
      I used to call someone Kumagorô as a joke. His girlfriend used to
      call him "bear" and I just could not resist.

      Tombo no Maru is unlikely to be used as the name of a household for
      a variety of reasons including confusion with the quasi-titular
      deutorotheme (ending) which was originally -maro and changed into
      -maru.

      >--Sable, three dragonflies displayed in annulo conjoined head to tail and
      >at the wingtips argent.

      An actual kamon using tonbo is

      <tincture> three dragonflies in anula heads to center <tincture>

      This appears on page 224 of Kamon no Bunka Shi. (Cultural History of Kamon)
      Another kamon on page 224 has two tanbo facing each other.

      >Since Japanese Mon are monochromatic in nature, I've stuck with Sable and
      >Azure, but I might have to put some color changes in there to get something
      >that will pass.

      A common misconception. Actual heraldic display during period often employed
      three tinctures.

      >--Argent (or fieldless?), A Dragonfly Azure within a Mascle of Bamboo
      >Stalks proper.

      Whether you want to go with this or not depends on just how fussy you want
      to be. There are birds which the Japanese associate with bamboo. This
      particular design appears to go against unity of theme which appears to
      be a basic principle in Japanese kamon. Basically, kamon do not appear
      to have been created by arranging disparate things together. Rather,
      when you see more than one thing together they form a semiotic unit much
      as the bells and jesses of a hawk combine with the picture of a bird to
      scream HAWK at you in English heraldry. So too the maintained nut of a
      squirrel or the nuts on an oak tree in English heraldry.

      If you are talking about a diamond shape made out of four overlapping
      sticks, that is a well frame and is sometimes seen as a kind of border
      added to the central theme of Japanese kamon. More typically you see
      circles. These borders appear to have been much more popular after 1601
      than before 1601.

      >Also, while I know that I'd like to stick with the military class, there is
      >a certain amount of debate in this part of Caid regarding the
      >appropriateness of a Samurai being caught dead outside of Europe. (I've
      >heard some people, whose education about Japan extends to watching most of
      >Shogun once, complaining that wearing two swords is a contemptible
      >arrogance on my part because it implies that I've sworn fealty.

      Oh barf! This two sword business is overblown and the bushi were a class
      not a contract arrangement. If you are bushi, you get to have two swords.
      The smaller sword is used for taking heads and killing yourself. The
      Japanese used hats and to some extent other costume elements and colour
      to indicate rank.

      | techie.com, msn.com |