[SCA-JML] long list of questions

  • darkstarcrashes@mac-addict.com
    Message 1 of 37 , Oct 22, 1999
      greetings everyone.

      my name is carl, i've just subscribed to the list. i'm not new to the
      sca, but i've been out for a few years. i've decided to try to get
      active again and move my persona over to japanese. being relatively new
      (i toyed with the idea of doing a japanese persona a while ago) to the
      japanese thing i've a bunch of questions for everyone.

      1. the garb i have was made by using the folk wear patterns, are these
      period? also, is there anyone out there who makes japanese garb to sell?

      2. any recommendations on where i can look to choose a name?

      3. i've already recieved my AOA, but it was for my previous persona.
      what is done to switch this to the new name and device? is it even
      possible to do this?

      4. i've been toying with the idea of making my persona a buddhist monk,
      perhaps one of the sohei. does anyone know where i can look for
      information on garb for a persona like these? i am a practicing zen
      buddhist, but i don't have access to a zendo (other than online) to get
      robe information.

      5. any recommendations on a study at home japanese language course?

      many thanks.

      in gassho,
      Carl
    • akimoya
      Message 37 of 37 , Nov 10, 1999
        On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > > OK, so "Do itashimashite" is actually "Do(h)o itashimshite", and should be
        > > spelled "Dou itashimashite"?
        >
        > Not quite. TODAY it is "dou". A century ago, it was spelled "dofu" but
        > pronounced "dou." MANY MANY MANY centuries ago, it WAS pronounced "dofu," or
        > so they think.

        You're right, my bad - "do(h)o" would be "doo", and "do(f)u" would be
        "dou".

        See, I learned something already!

        Akimoya
        (whou sezs you can't teech an Aulde Phart noo trix?)