Re: Dressing blondes (was Re: [SCA-JML] Playing dress-up withaviscount)

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Another interesting case is the priestess of Ise. Yes, she is 14 years old,
      > but that counts as a legal adult. Apparently, rather a lot of people got to
      > see her to some extent or another when she departed the capital.

      They saw her *cart*, and maybe her *sleeves*, not *her.*

      > As for the "general" thing. Isn't Genji identified as a general in the
      > "Lavender" section of Genji Monogatari? Clearly, a "general" in Heian
      > times did not necessarily command troops.

      Not "a" general, but a specific one -- Udaishô, "commander of the palace guards
      of the right".

      > As for the emperor.
      >
      > "The emperor still enjoyed the company of pretty women. He
      > preferred the pretty ones even among chambermaids and seamstresses,
      > and all the ranks of his court were filled with the best favored
      > women to be found. (An Autumn Excursion.)

      Yes, but we're not all emperors. <G>

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2001
        Baron Edward!

        Greetings from Solveig! But, there are dashing captains of the palace
        guard, udaishou and other cultured and interesting people about. At
        one point, Genji sets up his own alternative imperial court. Not so
        much in a governmental sense, but in an artistic and social sense.

        | techie.com, msn.com |