[SCA-JML] Re: the name game

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2000
      Noble Cousins!

      > Second, when speaking of names- Was there a point in history when
      >the no- prefix stopped being added to names (such as in the case of
      >Fujiwara no-Aoi)? If I was trying to do an Azuchi period mid/high
      >level buke, would this be a part of my name as I told it to others?

      In Heike Monogatari, we get appelations such as:

      Daijou Daijin Taira no Asson Kiyomori Kou

      1) Daijou Daijin - An imperial Office
      2) Taira - A family or clan name (the Taira acted more like
      a family and the Minamoto acted more like a
      clan - or at least claim some people.)
      3) Asson - A kabane
      4) Kiyomori - A nanori
      5) Kou - An honourific

      We see other appleations of the form <place> no <yobina> in
      Heike Monogatari. One interesting thing is that the -no- is
      not actually written. This makes it somewhat difficult to trace.
      We can trace it to some extent by the presence of furigana in
      older manuscripts. However, my impression is that this -no-
      business was pretty much extinct by the time of the Azuchi Momoyama
      period. Why? For one thing, the bushi by this point have pretty
      well established family names for themselves. Regardless, as I
      recall, -no- is pretty much abscent even in furigana by the time
      we get 16th century portrait inscriptions. This - no- is even more
      complicated by the fact that some titles appear to begin with
      an imbedded no- prefix. Thus, the various -nokami titles appear
      to have the -no- entirely contained in the kanji for the title.

      My guess (and this is a guess) is that the -no- form names started
      to become archaic shortly after the Genpei war. In 1177 we encounter
      names like Kiso Yoshinaga as well as names like Minamoto no Yoritomo.
      I expect that -no- formations were pretty much defunct by about the
      time of the joukyuu disturbance in 1221. Regardless, by the time of
      the Muromachi Bakufu, even the shougun had given up the -no- business.
      We get names like Ashikaga Takauji in 1335.

      Why does the -no- go away. I think that it is the result of
      stable heritable surnames being posessed by the buke. Regardless,
      I believe that the failure of the joukyuu disturbance resulted in
      or at least heralded significant shifts in Japanese social life.
      Basically, I think that the Genpei ware set in motion a shift in
      the perception of myouji which was solidified by the Joukyuu
      disturbance. Essentially, the old clans had become far less
      important politically than the new families. The result was that
      the family names solidified and became truly heritable.

      Now then, if you turn to tax rolls for commonors, as I recall,
      the situation was a bit different. Here you would find people
      recorded by their residence and clan affiliation and consequently,
      (again as I recall) the older form prevailed for far longer.
      Remember that peasants were not allowed to have real family names
      or nanori. This situation was not officially changed until
      universal myoujigomen during the Meiji Restoration.

      | techie.com |