Re: [SCA-JML] how do you make the knots in a hakama?

  • Elsyr
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2001
      Hmmm ... this is one of those things that I could show you how to do in about 10
      seconds in person, but I am not sure if I can describe it in words effectively.
      I'll give it a try, however. The method of tying the hakama straps I use is
      appropriate for modern martial arts (Iai-do specifically), but it seems to match
      the way I have seen the straps tied in Japanese movies set in the Momoyama
      period. Earlier period methods may be significantly differrent - I have no
      clue. At any rate, here goes:

      The strap attached to the front of the hakama goes around the small of your
      back, then around to the front over the top of the fron hakama panels, where a
      half-square knot is tied, then back around to the back, where a bow is tied to
      secure it. The back panel is placed in the small of the back (covering this
      bow), with the strap attachment point above the bow (to give you that snazzy
      samurai bussle). This back strap goes around to the front, and is tied in a
      square knot around the straps you already wrapped from the front, locking the
      straps together. This should leave some "tails" hanging out of the knot. The
      left tail is folded onto itself a couple of times (the exact fold depends on the
      length left over) until you have a flat package of belt that can be centered
      over the square knot you just tied. The right tail is then pulled under the
      square knot and wrapped around the center of the flat bunch of belt you have
      laying across the knot. Wrap over the front, then behind the knot, then up over
      again, and repeat until you have a short (2-4" or so) length of strap hanging
      down in the middle from behind the knot.

      Hope that helps,
      Sakurakawa