how do you make the knots in a hakama?

  • Cameron Slayden
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2001
      I can't seem to find any references online, they just tell you that it's a
      tradition for a student to learn that from his/her sempai. Well guess what i
      don't have? I actually want to do it right but i can't find it anywhere.
      Could somebody help?

      -c

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2001
        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Cameron Slayden" <cameronslayden@h...> wrote:
        > I can't seem to find any references online, they just tell you that
        it's a
        > tradition for a student to learn that from his/her sempai. Well
        guess what i
        > don't have? I actually want to do it right but i can't find it
        anywhere.
        > Could somebody help?

        There are 2 that I know of - one that when you're done looks like a
        nice cross, and the other looks like a capital T. Both start the
        same. You take the ties from the front panel around the back, cross,
        come to your front, cross again and tie in the back with any old bow
        (think shoe laces). Then you take the back panel up, and bring its
        ties to the front. Cross them, and take the top tie under ALL the
        ties and complete a simple knot. Now the bow is made with these 2
        ends. Take the one at the left hand side and essentially roll it up
        into single loop that when you flatten it is about 4 inches in
        diameter. Place it so that its middle is over the holding knot in
        the center of the ties under your belly-button. Now you have a
        choice: T or X. The difference lies in which direction you wrap the
        right hand tie: over or under. Take the tie and stick it under the
        knot from either the top (T) or the bottom (X). If you're doing the
        T, take the free end of the tie and place it so that the tie is half
        length and the free tip is at the knot. Then loop this "loop" around
        the middle of the held bow you made with the left hand tie until the
        tag end hangs out underneath. If you're doing the X, loop the other
        way (single length) until you have about 6 or 7 inches left. Tuck
        this last bit under so that a loop of it shows on top, and the tag
        end hangs underneath. Presto. And you're right - it's much easier to
        show than to describe. It's on the web somewhere also, I think -
        check the kenjutsu sites.

        - seamus.
      • Elsyr
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2001
          Hmmm ... this is one of those things that I could show you how to do in about 10
          seconds in person, but I am not sure if I can describe it in words effectively.
          I'll give it a try, however. The method of tying the hakama straps I use is
          appropriate for modern martial arts (Iai-do specifically), but it seems to match
          the way I have seen the straps tied in Japanese movies set in the Momoyama
          period. Earlier period methods may be significantly differrent - I have no
          clue. At any rate, here goes:

          The strap attached to the front of the hakama goes around the small of your
          back, then around to the front over the top of the fron hakama panels, where a
          half-square knot is tied, then back around to the back, where a bow is tied to
          secure it. The back panel is placed in the small of the back (covering this
          bow), with the strap attachment point above the bow (to give you that snazzy
          samurai bussle). This back strap goes around to the front, and is tied in a
          square knot around the straps you already wrapped from the front, locking the
          straps together. This should leave some "tails" hanging out of the knot. The
          left tail is folded onto itself a couple of times (the exact fold depends on the
          length left over) until you have a flat package of belt that can be centered
          over the square knot you just tied. The right tail is then pulled under the
          square knot and wrapped around the center of the flat bunch of belt you have
          laying across the knot. Wrap over the front, then behind the knot, then up over
          again, and repeat until you have a short (2-4" or so) length of strap hanging
          down in the middle from behind the knot.

          Hope that helps,
          Sakurakawa