Re: [SCA-JML] sewing my kataginu

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2001
      Cameron Slayden wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > Thanks, Effingham-dono for the tip on getting fabric patterns on the
      > SCA-JML group website. Now that i've got the patterns, though, i have a
      > little problem: i've pretty much figured out how to sew the back together
      > and how to attach the collar. but are the sides sewn together to make an
      > armhole?

      Armhole? As the description in the costume site says (or should say, I'll have
      to go back and see if I need to be clearer) the garment doesn't *have* sides;
      it's like a poncho or tabard.

      > if so, how high up? if not, is the thing just draped over the body
      > and tied in place? do you put it on before or after the hakama?

      Again, look more closely at the illustrations. It's worn *inside* the hakama,
      and the waist ties of the hakama hold it in place.

      > also, is
      > there any special way you're supposed to tie a hakama? thanks!

      Carefully. <G>

      Seriously, though, do you mean what kind of knot? There are several different
      types of knots, the most common being something that looks like a bowtie and
      one that looks like a small + sign. It generally shouldn't be a simple bow,
      although I find myself doing that sometimes when I'm in a hurry to make a
      privy run, and then usually forget to fix it. <g>