Re: [SCA-JML] Delurking!

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 6, 2001
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! I believe that you are persisting in misreading
      me. Nowhere do I make the kabane = name equation. I am generally
      perplexed by the people that do as they generally function more as
      titles even before the Taika reform. I have written and spoke at various
      times about the titular origin of various Japanese name elements. I
      intend to stand by that. However, the kabane do not seem to be a big
      player in name formation.

      Society scrolls are generally issued by the government and not by
      any equivalent of an academic institution. If I were devising
      scrolls for the Atlantian University or another SCA organization
      which confers degrees, then I would attempt to write an appropriate
      scrolls of that sort. Of course, if this were in a medieval Chinese
      context, an academic degree would guarantee a cushy job. For that
      matter, in various European countries the second doctorate pretty
      much guarantees a job.

      As for my quip about the "rights and privileges" of academic degrees,
      that was one of my sporatic and generally unsuccessful attempts at
      being witty.

      Darn but I cann't find my abridged copy of the Azuma Kagami right now.
      (Its bound together with an abridgement of Heike Monogatari.) This
      is exactly the sort of thing that I like to go look at for myself.

      One thing that is interesting about Ason in the examples you are
      citing is its variable location. In the cases from the Tale of
      the Heike, it is slotted in front of the nanori and in the Shika
      Wakashu it is slotted after the nanori. One thing that I want to
      do is go look at the original text and see how it is actually
      written. In the quotation from the Heike Monogatari, they are
      following the common practice of intertextual insertion of the
      -no- which does not actually appear in the original text. The
      honourifc -kô is duly noted and is one which I have either already
      used or contemplated using in particularly high court appointments.

      >Well, feel free, but they're not. Even in period, not all knights were
      >"generals". Some kingdoms have specific positions for generals of
      >their armies.
      >Most knights I know have a household of squires and so on, but that hardly
      >qualifies them for the title "general." I would restrict that title to someone
      >the king has seen fit to bestow it on, and to someone who actually
      >performs the
      >duties of one.

      In pre-1601 Western Europe, Knights were not peers. Our knighthood
      doesn't even correspond well to the Order of the Garter which pretty
      much is an order of peers.

      >Fine, they can like it, but Corporate rules say that our kings
      >*aren't* shogun.

      Really? How so? They certainly aren't sarcedotal priest-kings which calling
      them tenno makes them out to be. If anything, the current version of
      Corpora is remarkably silent about this. Corpora talks about how kings
      are chosen, about the rights, and about their responsibilities.

      >Shogun are military warlords, which may in fact fit the way our kings come to
      >power better than the European mode, but -- and this is an important but --
      >they are KINGS. They are ROYALTY. Not commoners with military power, but
      >ROYALTY. In Japan, there's one royalty: the Sovereign, the Tenno Heika.

      The Tenno-heika is the big cheese rather like the Pope is the big cheese,
      we might argue that the shugo were kings. Last I heard, some of the
      Europeans on the spot made them out to be kings.

      >*HIS* Knight doesn't matter a darn about this. His knight didn't sign it and
      >put the kingdom seal on it, did he? No, the KING did (unless the king was his
      >knight, in which case it was boneheaded). Our scrolls are legal documents and
      >should not be full of things that are untrue. For one, it means the king is a
      >liar. "Hey, your maj, where's my horse? You promised me one, even put the seal
      >on it."

      Actually, I probably put the kingdom seal on it if we must go into that.
      The king did do the signing. As for appointment to honourary offices,
      I suggest that you take that up with Duke Lucan as he is rather fond
      of handing those out. As for his court demenour, people have been trying
      to get him to sit without exposing himself for years now. Still, he is
      the once and future king and gets to sit in the big chair with the big
      hat on his head and hand out stuff to people. Giving out appointments as
      "seamstress to the court" bothers me a LOT less than courts which drone on
      and on with phrases such as "to be know throughout the Society for
      Creative Anachronism Incorporated as ..."

      Finally, giving people appointments to offices of various sorts instead
      of court ranks better accomodates the title stacking that we in the
      Society so commonly practice. I assume that once you get your Laurel
      that people will start calling you Baron Master Master Edward of
      Effingham.

      Amateur Schoalr

      | techie.com, msn.com |