[SCA-JML] Re: tv show or movie????

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
      accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
      book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
      can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
      can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
      between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

      As for post 1600 Japanese clothing and hair styles. I am very
      much in agreement with you. Clothing changed significantly during
      the Edo period. There were significant clothing and hair fads
      and what naught. (I have a rather nice history of clothing in
      the Edo period and a matching history of hair styles in the
      Edo period.)

      In Japan, by 1650 you can easily have clothing and hair that
      was unseen before 1601.

      | techie.com |
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 22, 1999
        Barbara Nostrand wrote:

        > Baron Edward!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
        > accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
        > book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
        > can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
        > can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
        > between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

        That's what I'm talking about. This is the only acceptable use of
        post-period material. The trouble is when people start wanting to do post
        period things (the Edo style kataginu, for example) even though it's only
        "a little" after 1600.