Re: Trade Pots for Garb

  • mneumark@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 2, 2001
      > Greetings from Solveig! Tea sets are pretty much non-Japanese. Those
      > bowls are probably called chawan (tea bowls) and are used to drink
      tea.

      I could be wrong, and since I'm not at my house to cross-check, but
      the tea bowls that the japanese use are different than the chinese
      ones. The ones I was talking about were developed when "The Way of
      Tea" was introduced, which if I'm remembering correctly, is
      Japanese. I believe it all had to do with Wabi and Sabi...I'm sorry
      to be so vague.

      I'll check out my documentation to make sure, but I believe it was
      the Master of Tea during roughly 1578 or so. I found some info off
      the Raku family site that supports what my thoughts are (some
      different sections of it):

      "...These Japanese san cai wares were not, however, called Raku ware
      and it was only after Chojiro had become acquainted with the
      teamaster Sen no Rikyu (1522-1591) and had started making tea bowls
      for the tea ceremony (chanoyu) that Raku ware came into being. It
      could be said that the origin of Raku ware lay in the making of a
      single tea bowl for the tea ceremony."

      "...In this Raku wares reflect more directly than any other kind of
      ceramic the ideals of wabicha, the form of tea ceremony based on the
      aesthetics of wabi advocated by Sen no Rikyu. "

      It goes on how Chojiro's family name was now Raku, etc.

      Hopefully this makes more sense now. These are the tea sets I would
      be making...which isn't EXACTLY a set, per se, but I would make the
      tea bowls and a matching tea pot. Tea bowls would be period, tea pot
      I haven't found much documentation in Japan on tea pots, per se.

      --Raku
    • Munson, Eric
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 2, 2001
        Greetings Raku-dono,

        I know Solveig will jump in, but I just wanted to say I know what you're
        talking about. The thing that's caching us up is that there are no "sets'
        for tea ceremony. The bowl is singular - an object of veneration during the
        ceremony - it is used and shared by each guest and the tea preparer. There
        is no pot to go with it - the tea powder is mixed with hot water form the
        kettle right in the bowl then wisked. So, if you want to do rakuware tea
        bowls, please do! I, for one, would love to see what you come up with and
        might very happily commission one from you. Do a little internet digging on
        tea ceremony and you'll find more info on the use of the bowls and their
        history besides the work of the Raku masters.

        There are other forms of tea cups and sakezuki you could make as well, but I
        can't advise on them, really except to mention that sake was often poured
        out of what looks to western eyes very much like a huge perfume bottle -
        makes you think of a flower vase.... That might also be an interesting
        project.

        - mokurai

        > ----------

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 3, 2001
          Raku-dono,
          The Heibonsha book I mentioned in my private message to you has a lot of really
          good stuff on tea bowls, some lovely illustrations of period bowls, along with
          full descriptions of all of the tea ceremony implements. I suspect that, if you
          wanted to consider a "set" in Japan, it might consist of the bowl, the water
          jar, the container for the tea itself, etc.

          Kiri

        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 3, 2001
            Noble Cousin!

            Greetings from Solveig! A rather wide variety of bowls have been used
            for tea. What I was talking about was "tea sets". The closest thing
            that comes to that is various all in one affairs where you transport
            the various tea implements in some sort of box such as a tabidansu
            or a more limited collection of implements in a chabako. However, this
            sort of arrangement is not of the same sort of fixed everything matches
            nature that the phrase "tea set" conjures up in my mind. The closest to
            that in the tea ceremony is various bronze utensils used in conjunction
            with a daisu. However, these do not have matching tea bowls. This sort
            of tea usually uses a tenmokujawan.

            | techie.com, msn.com |
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 3, 2001
              Noble Cousins!

              Greetings from Solveig! Jumping in as predicted. About sake. What we
              use in the sake ceremony (yes there is a sake ceremony) looks more like
              a small cast iron tea pot with either a ceramic or iron lid. The sake
              is poured into what looks like a lacquer saucer.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
            • Barbara Nostrand
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 3, 2001
                Noble Cousins!

                There are some things which have been traditionally matched in some
                instances. For example, you can have a matched tea bowl, dish rag
                holder, and tea holder made out of ceramic. Also, you could
                have matching incense holder, tea whisk holder, and tea holder made
                out of lacquerware. This sort of set exists. Another sort of set
                consists of matching bronze water jar, implement holder/flower vase,
                and waste water container. However, I have not seen a combination
                of these various sets.

                | techie.com, msn.com |
              • Munson, Eric
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
                  > ----------
                  > From: Barbara Nostrand
                  > Noble Cousins!
                  >
                  > Greetings from Solveig! Jumping in as predicted. About sake. What we
                  > use in the sake ceremony (yes there is a sake ceremony) looks more like
                  > a small cast iron tea pot with either a ceramic or iron lid. The sake
                  > is poured into what looks like a lacquer saucer.

                  I am familiar with both of these, but I was trying to describe the ceramic
                  jars that were used, perhaps for less formal occasions. Sorry to it this
                  way, but being a visual person, I have to: You can see them in Ran in
                  several scenes; like the "two hares" joke in the party scene in the
                  beginning. This was what I was encouraging our potter to try. Unfortunately,
                  I don't know what they would be called.

                  - mokurai
                • mneumark@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
                    --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                    > Raku-dono,
                    > The Heibonsha book I mentioned in my private message to you has a
                    lot of really
                    > good stuff on tea bowls, some lovely illustrations of period bowls,
                    along with
                    > full descriptions of all of the tea ceremony implements. I suspect
                    that, if you
                    > wanted to consider a "set" in Japan, it might consist of the bowl,
                    the water
                    > jar, the container for the tea itself, etc.
                    >
                    > Kiri

                    I have one of the Heibonsha books...it goes over stoneware mainly. I
                    found it at Powell's (GOD I love that place), but before that on
                    Bibliofind.com (which is now Amazon, I'm afraid) which listed MANY of
                    the Heibonsha volumes, different numbers and prices. I think I have
                    #17. I'll take a closer look at it (I don't remember seeing tea
                    stuff per se...just bottles and regular bowls).

                    Thanks so much for your help tho! I appreciate it!

                    --Raku
                  • mneumark@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
                      --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
                      > Noble Cousins!
                      >
                      > There are some things which have been traditionally matched in some
                      > instances. For example, you can have a matched tea bowl, dish rag
                      > holder, and tea holder made out of ceramic. Also, you could
                      > have matching incense holder, tea whisk holder, and tea holder made
                      > out of lacquerware. This sort of set exists. Another sort of set
                      > consists of matching bronze water jar, implement holder/flower vase,
                      > and waste water container. However, I have not seen a combination
                      > of these various sets.

                      Oooo! Do you have pictures, Solveig? I would LOVE to see matching
                      sets as you've described (especially if these are period). I
                      especially like the tea holder ceramic idea. I buy a number of the
                      japanese quilting magazines and they show these lovely place mats,
                      bowls and plates that all match, but I was assuming it wasn't period.

                      I've also been told that both ceramics AND knifes haven't changed all
                      that much stylistically from period. Does anyone know anything about
                      cooking knives? I also do some bladesmithing (not good yet, but
                      practicing). Any book suggestions?

                      --Raku
                    • Elaine Koogler
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
                        The one I have is #15, and has all of the appropriate equipment used in the
                        tea ceremony, along with wonderful pictures of tea rooms and diagrams of
                        their floor plans. I've thoroughly enjoyed having it. We have a Japanese
                        store in downtown Washington, DC that usually has a small, but good,
                        selection of books on the various aspects of Japanese culture. That's where
                        I got this!

                        Kiri

                        mneumark@... wrote:

                        > --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                        > > Raku-dono,
                        > > The Heibonsha book I mentioned in my private message to you has a
                        > lot of really
                        > > good stuff on tea bowls, some lovely illustrations of period bowls,
                        > along with
                        > > full descriptions of all of the tea ceremony implements. I suspect
                        > that, if you
                        > > wanted to consider a "set" in Japan, it might consist of the bowl,
                        > the water
                        > > jar, the container for the tea itself, etc.
                        > >
                        > > Kiri
                        >
                        > I have one of the Heibonsha books...it goes over stoneware mainly. I
                        > found it at Powell's (GOD I love that place), but before that on
                        > Bibliofind.com (which is now Amazon, I'm afraid) which listed MANY of
                        > the Heibonsha volumes, different numbers and prices. I think I have
                        > #17. I'll take a closer look at it (I don't remember seeing tea
                        > stuff per se...just bottles and regular bowls).
                        >
                        > Thanks so much for your help tho! I appreciate it!
                        >
                        > --Raku

                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
                          Mokurai Bozu!

                          Greetings from Solveig! When in doubt, call the shubin (alcohol bottles)
                          or sake yô dobin. (Earthenware bottles used for sake.) Not being one to
                          imbibe much alcohol, I don't know what they are really called.

                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 4, 2001
                            "Munson, Eric" wrote:

                            > I am familiar with both of these, but I was trying to describe the ceramic
                            > jars that were used, perhaps for less formal occasions. Sorry to it this
                            > way, but being a visual person, I have to: You can see them in Ran in
                            > several scenes; like the "two hares" joke in the party scene in the
                            > beginning. This was what I was encouraging our potter to try. Unfortunately,
                            > I don't know what they would be called.

                            That type of bottle -- and similar sake jars -- are called "heiji."

                            You can actually still buy them today, but they are primarily seen now as
                            Shinto offering thingies, as people buy sake *now* in glass bottles or cans,
                            and then decant a bit into a tokkuri from which to serve.

                            Heiji came in a great variety of sizes, and some variety of shapes.

                            For the pottery junkies here, I did some looking for some images:

                            Nice Muromachi-era heiji (this is a very famous piece):
                            http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_27.html

                            Here's a site selling heiji as Shinto supplies.
                            http://www.na.rim.or.jp/~yamagen/ryohan/heiji/heiji.html

                            Kamakura-era heiji:
                            http://www.city.kani.gifu.jp/topics/tokubetuten1/k080.htm

                            Kamakura-era Seto ootsubo ("big pot"):
                            http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_51.html

                            Other stuff ---
                            Momoyama-era Mino tea bowl:
                            http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_54.html

                            Momoyama-era Sake bowl:
                            http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_a23.html

                            In Japanese. Cool Suntory properties for artifact junkies:
                            http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/touji_f.html

                            In Japanese, but this is the site of a display of the pottery works in the
                            museum of Kanazawa University (click any of the numbers and keep clicking
                            "next" next to the graphics to move along):
                            http://web.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/~shiryo/akegarasu1/akegarasu_frame.html

                            English: History of Mino ware:
                            http://www.com.rd.pref.gifu.jp/industry/ceramics/history/index-e.html

                            English: Hakone Museum, pottery thingies:
                            http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/hakone_museum.html

                            Effingham
                          • Elaine Koogler
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
                              Edward-dono,
                              Thanks so much for sharing this. I love Japanese pottery, and looking at these
                              items was a real treat for me!

                              Kiri

                              "Anthony J. Bryant" wrote:

                              > "Munson, Eric" wrote:
                              >

                              > > I am familiar with both of these, but I was trying to describe the ceramic
                              > > jars that were used, perhaps for less formal occasions. Sorry to it this
                              > > way, but being a visual person, I have to: You can see them in Ran in
                              > > several scenes; like the "two hares" joke in the party scene in the
                              > > beginning. This was what I was encouraging our potter to try. Unfortunately,
                              > > I don't know what they would be called.
                              >
                              > That type of bottle -- and similar sake jars -- are called "heiji."
                              >
                              > You can actually still buy them today, but they are primarily seen now as
                              > Shinto offering thingies, as people buy sake *now* in glass bottles or cans,
                              > and then decant a bit into a tokkuri from which to serve.
                              >
                              > Heiji came in a great variety of sizes, and some variety of shapes.
                              >
                              > For the pottery junkies here, I did some looking for some images:
                              >
                              > Nice Muromachi-era heiji (this is a very famous piece):
                              > http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_27.html
                              >
                              > Here's a site selling heiji as Shinto supplies.
                              > http://www.na.rim.or.jp/~yamagen/ryohan/heiji/heiji.html
                              >
                              > Kamakura-era heiji:
                              > http://www.city.kani.gifu.jp/topics/tokubetuten1/k080.htm
                              >
                              > Kamakura-era Seto ootsubo ("big pot"):
                              > http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_51.html
                              >
                              > Other stuff ---
                              > Momoyama-era Mino tea bowl:
                              > http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_54.html
                              >
                              > Momoyama-era Sake bowl:
                              > http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/l_a23.html
                              >
                              > In Japanese. Cool Suntory properties for artifact junkies:
                              > http://www.suntory.co.jp/sma/japanese/collections/touji_f.html
                              >
                              > In Japanese, but this is the site of a display of the pottery works in the
                              > museum of Kanazawa University (click any of the numbers and keep clicking
                              > "next" next to the graphics to move along):
                              > http://web.kanazawa-u.ac.jp/~shiryo/akegarasu1/akegarasu_frame.html
                              >
                              > English: History of Mino ware:
                              > http://www.com.rd.pref.gifu.jp/industry/ceramics/history/index-e.html
                              >
                              > English: Hakone Museum, pottery thingies:
                              > http://www.e-yakimono.net/html/hakone_museum.html
                              >
                              > Effingham

                            • Ange and Joanna
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 5, 2001
                                I am located in the East, in Pa, to be more specific.  I plan on being at Pennsic and would be very interested in anything you would be able to put together!

                                A portable raku kiln?  How is such a beastie constructed?

                                I would love to hear the nitty-gritty details on glazes, and would be very, very interested in your CA piece.  I have to admit, I generally learn best either by reading, or in a hands-on class ( I have a sleep disorder - mild, but it makes taking lecture classes difficult) but if you don't mind someone nodding off in your class, I'd be happy to take in what I could.  Whereabouts in Caid are you?

                                Thanks for the tip about the potter's list, I am just beginning, and can use any information I can get my hands on....

                                gratefully,
                                Tsukiyo
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 6, 2001
                                  Elaine Koogler wrote:

                                  > Edward-dono,
                                  > Thanks so much for sharing this. I love Japanese pottery, and looking at these
                                  > items was a real treat for me!

                                  My pleasure.

                                  I was kinda drooling as a looked at them myself.

                                  Now my keyboard is waterlogged.

                                  Effingham
                                • mneumark@hotmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 8, 2001
                                    Baron Edward!

                                    Thanks SO much for the links! Whenever I look for stuff, all I find
                                    are modern stuff. You rule! Woo-hoo! ::happy potter dance::

                                    I'm telling my laurel how great you are! (Like he didn't know
                                    already...right!) :)

                                    --Raku
                                  • mneumark@hotmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 9, 2001
                                      --- In sca-jml@y..., "Ange and Joanna" <woadwomen@n...> wrote:
                                      > I am located in the East, in Pa, to be more specific. I plan on
                                      being at Pennsic and would be very interested in anything you would
                                      be able to put together!

                                      I'm going to have to see what my financial issues will be, and what
                                      can be done in general at Pennsic. So people would be interested in
                                      classes on the history of asian ceramics too? Or just how to stuff?

                                      > A portable raku kiln? How is such a beastie constructed?

                                      There are a few different options...depending on my resources at the
                                      time. Fire bricks, mud and propaine, basically can be done rather
                                      easily. The cool portable is pre-made...it's like a portable furnace
                                      (like what the metalworkers use to melt metal) only made of special
                                      fiber. They run around $900. I'm saving up for one now. :)

                                      > I would love to hear the nitty-gritty details on glazes, and would
                                      be very, very interested in your CA piece.>

                                      I live in the San Fernando Valley, near Los Angeles (a skip from
                                      Little Tokyo and the garment districts). I'll dig up my article and
                                      try to post it to the files section. I might even have it
                                      handy...remind me if I flake.

                                      We can talk off line about glazes...I don't want to bore this list
                                      with details, unless there are other people interested in this sort
                                      of stuff.

                                      > Thanks for the tip about the potter's list, I am just beginning,
                                      and can use any information I can get my hands on....

                                      You're welcome!

                                      --Raku
                                    • Elaine Koogler
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 9, 2001
                                        You might want to get in touch with Stefan li Rous (address above) who does
                                        Stefan's Florilegium. I'm sure he'd be interested in putting whatever
                                        information you have on his site. He has all sorts of stuff there, about all
                                        kinds of things, that he gleans off of a number of different lists, including
                                        the Rialto, etc. I suspect, knowing Stefan, that he's love to have anything
                                        you can give him!

                                        Kiri