Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Caucasians in kimono

    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 1, 2001
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! I think it would be absolutely marvelous
      > for people to recreate Utari. The one problem is that they have
      > no written literature dating from our period. This makes them
      > more of a challenge. However, you should never let crypto-racism
      > keep you from pursuing an area in which you interested.

      What does no literature have to do with crypto-racism?

      Actually, there is a series of collected historical works that has a
      four-volume section on "exploration and colonization" -- one per compass
      point -- and the "north" edition has several diaries and journals of Edo and
      Meiji explorers into Hokkaido (including the Japanese "Lewis and Clark"
      expedition); all of them are heavily illustrated with observers' notes about
      the lifestyle, artifacts, and homes of the Utari, and many include large
      vocabulary sections. Fascinating if you're into that sort of thing.

      Effingham
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 3, 2001
        Baron Edward!

        Greetings from Solvieg!

        >Ah. Gotcha! Well, I used to hang out with a Black guy who from time to time
        >did viking, so.... (and once he even put on a blond wig with braided
        >pigtails. Now *that* was frightening. <G>)

        Sounds like he had great fun.

        | techie.com, msn.com |