Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Introduction: totally new to all of this

    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 1, 2001
      mneumark@... wrote:

      > I'm sure you can find these online and especially in Little Toyko at
      > the bookstores in Downtown LA. Shoot...I can't spell the big
      > bookstore inside the Mitsuwa (all the Yoahan Plazas were bought out
      > last year, I think), but I know Edward had the link to the huge
      > website...Edward?

      Ummm... website for *what*?

      Effingham
    • Jedillore
      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 2, 2001
        on 10/2/01 4:48 PM, Anthony J. Bryant at ajbryant@... wrote:

        >>> Also, "okagesama de" is the response to "how are you," not "pleased to meet
        >>> you." -- But you'll pick up the Japanese bits more and more as we play. <G>
        >>>

        >> What would have been the proper response? Dozo yoroshiku?
        >
        > Yes, in fact, or perhaps "kochira koso" (hard to translate; if we translate
        > "Yoroshiku onegai shimasu" as "pleased to meet you", "kochira koso" is the
        > equivalent of "the pleasure's all mine").
        >
        > Now, if you want to switch to period Japanese.... <G>

        Period? I don't think I'm quite ready for that.
        But... "Kochira koso." Hai. Wakarimasu.

        This does mean however, that I've made this mistake before. Like I said, I
        was trying to be super polite to Ii-dono. It would follow then that I've
        most likely made the same gaff greeting various sensei. <wince> They
        probably thought it was quaint...

        > You should see my calendar page in the Miscellany <G>.
        > http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo .

        Your site is amazing. I've been slowly sifting through it and digesting it.
        I just haven't gotten to the calendar part yet. (Probably because I'm still
        trying to figure out how people's names worked! :-)

        > Flirting? Ummm... not as... um....
        >
        > Did you see "Fletch"?
        >
        > Juvenile delinquent: "Are you a cop?"
        > Fletch: "As far as you know."

        I didn't see Fletch, but I'm in a terribly good mood and got a huge laugh
        out of that quote. I shall have to see it. I think it will be the first
        movie in English I've seen in like a year...

        > Actually, it's rather easy. You get used to it. Of course, smooth wooden
        > floors
        > help...

        Say - perhaps my kendo ashi-sabaki will actually be useful for something
        besides kendo. We slide around on smooth wooden floors all the time.

        > Actually, no... <G> If you don't *know* an AoA, you probably don't have one.
        > <G>

        You'd be absolutely right about that. :-)

        > They'd probably use your surname plus "-dono."

        Ah. Okay. Too bad really. I was quite taken with the idea of being called
        "princess" even though I'm not one. I will have to earn it I suppose.

        As always, thanks for the info.

        -akime-