Re: [SCA-JML] shinai vs. rattan fighters

  • James A Barrows
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
      I was the Atenveldt Kingdom Shinai Marshall.. then they banned Shinai in
      Atenveldt. Oops.
      The basic difference is that one requires less armor. That was the
      basic difference we, in Atenveldt, were trying to accomplish. A low
      cost, low armor (therefore cooler) way of fighting. Also, in theory,
      less bruising (that always remained a theory however).
      Other kingdoms may differ, but that was the basic difference here.

      On Mon, 2001-10-01 at 07:11, Cameron Slayden wrote:
      > out of curiosity, what is the difference? i have never participated in
      > either, and i'm wondering why one might not have very many shinai fighters
      > at an event, and why one might want shinai instead of rattan. just a newbie
      > question...
      >
      > -c

      James A Barrows
      Software Developer
      Oppurtunity doesn't knock, it only presents itself after you kick down
      the door.
      --Kyle Chandler
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2001
        On 1 Oct 2001, James A Barrows wrote:

        > I was the Atenveldt Kingdom Shinai Marshall.. then they banned Shinai in
        > Atenveldt. Oops.
        > The basic difference is that one requires less armor. That was the
        > basic difference we, in Atenveldt, were trying to accomplish. A low
        > cost, low armor (therefore cooler) way of fighting. Also, in theory,
        > less bruising (that always remained a theory however).
        > Other kingdoms may differ, but that was the basic difference here.

        Just to make sure everything is clear--shinai are strips of bamboo, held
        together with cord and leather, with a lot of 'give' and 'spring' used in
        kendo shiai. Rattan is a vine-like vegetable (actually a clinging palm,
        apparently), which is sometimes used in furniture. To those unfamiliar
        with the differences it seems similar to bamboo, but bamboo is much
        lighter, as it is hollow. Rattan is filled with semi-spongy 'veins', like
        other palms, and so is much more solid and massive.

        Thus, a strike from rattan is a much more serious strike in many respects,
        than one from a bamboo shinai.

        Shinai is a form of 'light fighting' that I would love to see practiced
        more, but I don't think it has caught on in other kingdoms yet.

        -Ii
      • Ron Martino
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2001
          > Shinai is a form of 'light fighting' that I would love to see practiced
          > more, but I don't think it has caught on in other kingdoms yet.
          >
          > -Ii

          My understanding is that the shinai (the practice sword itself) dates
          from the Edo period. Prior to that, wooden bokken were used exclusively
          as substitutes for real swords. If that is indeed true, then rattan is
          (in my opinion) the appropriate way to re-create the practice forms.

          Does anyone know for sure?

          Yumitori
          --

          yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
        • Elaine Koogler
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2001
            Well, if we can put together an Oriental event somewhere in northern Atlantia,
            that might be a great time to demo the sport and try to interest folks in
            doing it!

            Kiri (who might be persuaded to at least help with the food!)

            Ii Saburou wrote:

            > On 1 Oct 2001, James A Barrows wrote:
            >
            > > I was the Atenveldt Kingdom Shinai Marshall.. then they banned Shinai in
            > > Atenveldt. Oops.
            > > The basic difference is that one requires less armor. That was the
            > > basic difference we, in Atenveldt, were trying to accomplish. A low
            > > cost, low armor (therefore cooler) way of fighting. Also, in theory,
            > > less bruising (that always remained a theory however).
            > > Other kingdoms may differ, but that was the basic difference here.
            > >
            > Just to make sure everything is clear--shinai are strips of bamboo, held
            > together with cord and leather, with a lot of 'give' and 'spring' used in
            > kendo shiai. Rattan is a vine-like vegetable (actually a clinging palm,
            > apparently), which is sometimes used in furniture. To those unfamiliar
            > with the differences it seems similar to bamboo, but bamboo is much
            > lighter, as it is hollow. Rattan is filled with semi-spongy 'veins', like
            > other palms, and so is much more solid and massive.
            >
            > Thus, a strike from rattan is a much more serious strike in many respects,
            > than one from a bamboo shinai.
            >
            > Shinai is a form of 'light fighting' that I would love to see practiced
            > more, but I don't think it has caught on in other kingdoms yet.
            >
            > -Ii

          • Nate Ledbetter
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2001
              Minna sama e moushi agemasu:

              My brother in law is looking for a group in the
              Lexington, VA area. Figured I would ask to see if
              anyone on here was in that area, since I know there
              are a few Atlantians. I don't know if he wants to do a
              Japanese persona or not, but and connections I can
              give him would be much appreciated.

              Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu!

              Shonaigawa

              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2001
                I think Lexington is part of the Barony of Black Diamond (Blacksburg area)...or it
                might be part of the Shire of Isenfir (Charlottesville). He could try contacting
                people in both groups to find out which claims his territory. Here are some
                possible contacts:

                Black Diamond: Baron--Vladimir of Ezstergom (Brian Frye) (540)953-3114,
                brianfrye@...
                Seneschale: Metylda of Clann Mhuirich (Nicole Erly) (549)051-3037,
                bnearly@...

                Canton of Azuremont: Almas-Jahana (540)562-1331, honnas@...

                Shire of Isenfir: Deborah McArgh (Debbie Halstead) (804)295-1044,
                jebbydo@...

                Hope these help!

                Kiri

                Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                > Minna sama e moushi agemasu:
                >
                > My brother in law is looking for a group in the
                > Lexington, VA area. Figured I would ask to see if
                > anyone on here was in that area, since I know there
                > are a few Atlantians. I don't know if he wants to do a
                > Japanese persona or not, but and connections I can
                > give him would be much appreciated.
                >
                > Yoroshiku onegai itashimasu!
                >
                > Shonaigawa

              • Chris
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2001
                  Yes indeed, it's our great Barony of Black Diamond. I'm the local MoAS, and
                  my household sister is the Chatelaine. Here's her e-mail: amsmith3@...

                  We'll be glad to help anyone, though our meetings are usually held in
                  Blacksburg, which is nearly 2.5 hours from Lexington. Isenfir isn't that
                  much closer, and Azurmonti folk usually hang with us, though they do handle
                  their own business meetings. I'll check in with the other folk around to
                  see if there's anything else they should know.

                  Anyway, glad to help any newbies in our Barony,
                  Kinoshita Matashichiro Yoshimori,
                  Black Diamond MoAS
                  Order of the Silver Crocus
                  And Music Fiend! (or would it be Oni?)
                • Barbara Nostrand
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2001

                    Greetings from Solveig! I thought that Lexington was right across
                    the Potomac which would make it easiest to do stuff with Storvik.

                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2001
                      Lexington is on I-81 between Staunton (I know it's misspelled) and Roanoke.
                      I've had to drive from Blacksburg to Charlottesville many times, a 3 hour
                      drive, and Lexington is right midway. There are several active members in
                      Lexington, and they sometimes come down for meetings. It's a bit of a
                      drive, but less so than to Storvik.

                      > Greetings from Solveig! I thought that Lexington was right across
                      > the Potomac which would make it easiest to do stuff with Storvik.
                      >
                      > Your Humble Servant
                      > Solveig Throndardottir
                      > Amateur Scholar
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2001

                        Greetings from Solveig! Ok. I know that I was really confused. Alexandria
                        is the town on the other side of the Potomac. Right? Somehow I got it
                        smushed into Arlington and from there most likely via Massachusetts
                        geography got to Lexington. SIGH. I've both on the beltway and in
                        the Boston area. Oh well. I had best skulk off to a corner.

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                      • Nate Ledbetter
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 9, 2001
                          Minna sama e moushi agemasu:*

                          Thanks for all the replies and contacts--I'll pass the
                          info on and hopefully get him hooked up. THANKS!!!

                          Ojiki*

                          Shonaigawa

                          *to everyone

                          *bow

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 9, 2001
                            Lady Solveig,
                            I'm sorry, but I believe that your geography regarding this area is a little
                            off. I grew up traveling extensively in the area around Staunton and
                            Lexington, VA, and know that it is located just off Interstate 81. To get
                            there, you have to travel about 2 hours from DC (Storvik) to Charlottesville,
                            where you pick up I-64. You drive about another half-hour to 45 minutes to
                            the intersection of I-65 and 81. Lexington is about a half hour south of
                            that. In truth, Stierbach is closer by far, and its center of activity is
                            still several hours away.

                            Kiri

                            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                            > Noble Cousins!
                            >
                            > Greetings from Solveig! I thought that Lexington was right across
                            > the Potomac which would make it easiest to do stuff with Storvik.
                            >
                            > Your Humble Servant
                            > Solveig Throndardottir
                            > Amateur Scholar
                            > --
                            > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                            > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                            > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                            > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                            > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                            > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                            > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                            > | techie.com, msn.com |
                          • Elaine Koogler
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 9, 2001
                              Actually you spelled it right...and, I suspect, living in the area, pronouce it
                              correctly as well....stan-ton, with a short a. ;-)

                              Kiri