RE: [SCA-JML] Re: geta

  • Munson, Eric
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
      So noted. If your persona is a cartoon character, geta are Period.

      - mokurai (who can't fit his tengu-crow talons into tabi to save his life)

      > ----------

    • Elsyr
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
        LOL! Actually - this got me to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing for
        me. There is a really cool set of Tengu armor in the Bottomley book (Arms and
        Armor of the Samurai). It's a do of loosely tied plates, muscle sculpted kote,
        and an awesome tengu head kabuto. _That_ would make an excellent Japanese
        halloween costume ... maybe someday I'll have the time to make the armor and
        the money to have somebody make the helmet. :-)

        Sakurakawa

        "Munson, Eric" wrote:

        > So noted. If your persona is a cartoon character, geta are Period.
        >
        > - mokurai (who can't fit his tengu-crow talons into tabi to save his life)
        >
        > > ----------

      • Munson, Eric
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
          > ----------

          Yep. It's Edo period and made of sculpted leather (so no good for SCA, I'm
          afraid). But it is way-cool. Has sabi.

          > _That_ would make an excellent Japanese
          > halloween costume ...

          Indeed!

          - mokurai
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
            Elsyr wrote:

            > LOL! Actually - this got me to thinking, which is always a dangerous thing for
            > me. There is a really cool set of Tengu armor in the Bottomley book (Arms and
            > Armor of the Samurai). It's a do of loosely tied plates, muscle sculpted kote,
            > and an awesome tengu head kabuto. _That_ would make an excellent Japanese
            > halloween costume ... maybe someday I'll have the time to make the armor and
            > the money to have somebody make the helmet. :-)

            It's also late 18th or very early 19th century... <G>

            Effingham
          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
              > Posted by: "Rick Howard" rhoward@... akitsukiyoshimitsu
              >
              > Ohayo!
              >
              > Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are paulownia,

              Seems insanely expensive from this place but good info:
              http://www.paulowniawood.com/

              This place has it for about $5 a board foot. You might be able to get
              blanks. Basswood probably costs the about the same...
              http://www.sustainablelumber.com/lumber.html

              > If you "google "Empress Tree", you should be able to find several
              nurseries that carry them. I've got several growing in my yard!

              Apparently they grow like weeds! Not many people sell it in the US for
              local use, so you are probably better off growing it yourself. Four
              years or so it looks like....

              > Posted by: "wodeford" wodeford@... wodeford
              >
              > It's that whole having a yard to grow it in thing, though.

              Another Bay Area resident ;)

              Jim Eckman
            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
                James Eckman wrote:
                > > Posted by: "Rick Howard" rhoward@... akitsukiyoshimitsu
                > >
                > > Ohayo!
                > >
                > > Several pair that I have (all made in the 1900s, I think) are paulownia,
                >
                > Seems insanely expensive from this place but good info:
                > http://www.paulowniawood.com/
                >
                > This place has it for about $5 a board foot. You might be able to get
                > blanks. Basswood probably costs the about the same...
                > http://www.sustainablelumber.com/lumber.html
                >
                > > If you "google "Empress Tree", you should be able to find several
                > nurseries that carry them. I've got several growing in my yard!
                >
                > Apparently they grow like weeds! Not many people sell it in the US for
                > local use, so you are probably better off growing it yourself. Four
                > years or so it looks like....

                It grows in the mid-Atlantic states literally like a weed. However, if
                you don't have one on your property, you generally have difficulty in
                getting one. None of the local nurseries carry it because it is
                considered a "trash" tree. And, though there are lots growing along the
                highway, we are fobidden by law to dig one up for transplant. However,
                you're usually ok to take the fruit in the fall...but you have to watch
                to make sure you get there before the seeds are dispersed. I found it
                easier to order a couple from a nursery...I think it was in California.
                Once planted, they do grown like weeds. We have one that's about 4
                years old and its probably 20 feet tall! It has also reseeded itself,
                so now I have little ones as well.

                IIRC, the Japanese have a custom wherein a family will plant one on the
                birth of a daughter. When she's old enough to be married, the tree is
                usually big enough to make her bridal chest from. I do know that there
                was some kind of blight on the trees in Japan and so much of the wood
                used in Japan has to be imported. There are farmers in our area who
                actually raise the trees for sale...and I've heard of one family who had
                one in their yard, came home one day to find that it had been cut down
                and hauled away. Sigh.

                Kiri