Text Colours and Paterns

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001

      Here again are the textile colours, colour combinations, and patterns
      commonly talked about in Heian period monogatari literature.

      http://nostrab2.potsdam.edu/textiles/index.html

      Please remember that New Year is is the first day of Spring and fall
      either in late January or Early February. Fall, began in late August
      when the evenings started to be cool. As far as Heian Japanese are
      concerned, Fall is almost over.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • andrea@gideonfamily.org
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
        --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
        > Nadeshiko Hime!
        >
        > Greetings from Solveig! Didn't you check out the colour charts when
        I had
        > them up?

        Yes, but I can't just print that out and call it documentation. I
        need actual quotes and some book titles for my bibliography. This is
        for documentation for a kingdom level A&S compition.
        Nadeshiko
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
          Nadeshiko Hime

          Greetings from Solveig!

          Kokugo Kokubungaku Techo
          Shogakukan, 1990
          ISBN 4-09-504501-9

          >--- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
          >> Nadeshiko Hime!
          >>
          >> Greetings from Solveig! Didn't you check out the colour charts when
          >I had
          >> them up?
          >>

          >Yes, but I can't just print that out and call it documentation. I
          >need actual quotes and some book titles for my bibliography. This is
          >for documentation for a kingdom level A&S compition.
          >Nadeshiko

          | techie.com, msn.com |
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > As far as Heian Japanese are
            > concerned, Fall is almost over.

            Well, only so much as yesterday was the "Mid Fall Festival..." it's half
            over.<G>

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
              andrea@... wrote:

              > Is there a primary source for the "Colors for a Court Lady's Dress"
              > that in translated in Dalby's Kimono, Fashioning Culture? I would
              > also accept another English translation to verify Dalby's work. I'd
              > like to enter my 12th Night outfit in our 12th Night "dressed to
              > excess" contest, but I've been told that a single English translation
              > is not enough documentation.

              Well, you might hit my URL (if us academics can cite URLs in academic
              bibliographies, you should be able to, also).

              http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/ClothColors.html

              My prime sources were:

              Suzuki Keizô, Yûsoku kojitsu daijiten [An encyclopedia of ancient customs].
              Tôkyô: Yoshikawa kôbun kan, 1995.
              Suzuki Keizô, Yûsoku kojitsu zuten [A dictionary of ancient customs]. Tôkyô:
              Yoshikawa kôbun kan, 1995.
              Yoshida Sachiko, Nihon no iro jiten [A dictionary of Japanese colors].
              Tokyo: Shiko sha, 2000.