masasuke shozokusho

  • andrea@gideonfamily.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
      Is there a primary source for the "Colors for a Court Lady's Dress"
      that in translated in Dalby's Kimono, Fashioning Culture? I would
      also accept another English translation to verify Dalby's work. I'd
      like to enter my 12th Night outfit in our 12th Night "dressed to
      excess" contest, but I've been told that a single English translation
      is not enough documentation.
      Nadeshiko
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 29, 2001
        Nadeshiko Hime!

        Greetings from Solveig! Didn't you check out the colour charts when I had
        them up?

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 30, 2001
          Noble Cousins!

          Here again are the textile colours, colour combinations, and patterns
          commonly talked about in Heian period monogatari literature.

          http://nostrab2.potsdam.edu/textiles/index.html

          Please remember that New Year is is the first day of Spring and fall
          either in late January or Early February. Fall, began in late August
          when the evenings started to be cool. As far as Heian Japanese are
          concerned, Fall is almost over.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • andrea@gideonfamily.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
            --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
            > Nadeshiko Hime!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! Didn't you check out the colour charts when
            I had
            > them up?

            Yes, but I can't just print that out and call it documentation. I
            need actual quotes and some book titles for my bibliography. This is
            for documentation for a kingdom level A&S compition.
            Nadeshiko
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
              Nadeshiko Hime

              Greetings from Solveig!

              Kokugo Kokubungaku Techo
              Shogakukan, 1990
              ISBN 4-09-504501-9

              >--- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
              >> Nadeshiko Hime!
              >>
              >> Greetings from Solveig! Didn't you check out the colour charts when
              >I had
              >> them up?
              >>

              >Yes, but I can't just print that out and call it documentation. I
              >need actual quotes and some book titles for my bibliography. This is
              >for documentation for a kingdom level A&S compition.
              >Nadeshiko

              | techie.com, msn.com |
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
                Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                > As far as Heian Japanese are
                > concerned, Fall is almost over.

                Well, only so much as yesterday was the "Mid Fall Festival..." it's half
                over.<G>

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
                  andrea@... wrote:

                  > Is there a primary source for the "Colors for a Court Lady's Dress"
                  > that in translated in Dalby's Kimono, Fashioning Culture? I would
                  > also accept another English translation to verify Dalby's work. I'd
                  > like to enter my 12th Night outfit in our 12th Night "dressed to
                  > excess" contest, but I've been told that a single English translation
                  > is not enough documentation.

                  Well, you might hit my URL (if us academics can cite URLs in academic
                  bibliographies, you should be able to, also).

                  http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/ClothColors.html

                  My prime sources were:

                  Suzuki Keizô, Yûsoku kojitsu daijiten [An encyclopedia of ancient customs].
                  Tôkyô: Yoshikawa kôbun kan, 1995.
                  Suzuki Keizô, Yûsoku kojitsu zuten [A dictionary of ancient customs]. Tôkyô:
                  Yoshikawa kôbun kan, 1995.
                  Yoshida Sachiko, Nihon no iro jiten [A dictionary of Japanese colors].
                  Tokyo: Shiko sha, 2000.